xxxix. cuddles

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞 ─── cuddles

New York, 6th December 2008

𝔈llie hit her husband on the chest, who groaned in his sleep at the sound of a child crying.

"A baby's crying," Ellie told him, as Luke narrowed his eyes at her.

"They're yours before the sun's up." He rolled over.

"The sun's already risen."

"You gave birth to them." Ellie shot him a glare in response.

"You got me pregnant."

"You suggested getting eloped."

"You proposed," Ellie countered, glaring at her husband. "But fine, I'll go and get them."

"Thanks," Luke replied, falling face first back onto the pillow as Ellie opened the door to the nursery and leant down to pick the crying baby up. Wren immediately stopped crying, looking up at her with bright eyes, as Ellie narrowed her own eyes.

"Well played, Bean," The baby gurgled, as Ellie slumped into the rocking chair and began to feed the baby. "Very well played."

Alex was also watching her with the blue eyes that Ellie was used to seeing on Luke, and she narrowed her eyes at her son as well, who closed his mouth immediately.

"That's what I thought."

"Are you threatening the babies?" Ellie turned to look at her husband, who had also got up, grinning.

"Nope." He rolled his eyes, before reaching down for Alex, and picking the small baby up. Once Luke did, it was clear to see how much Alex looked like Luke, from the shape of his face to the colour of his eyes and the golden hair on his head. "He looks so much like you, it's unfair."

Luke hummed, rocking Alex around the room as Ellie watched her two favorite boys. A small hand curling around her finger caused Ellie to look down at Wren with a raised eyebrow.

"What do you want, madam?" Wren gurgled happily, as Ellie narrowed her eyes at her baby, who was unfortunately acting like her. Burping the little girl, Ellie stood up to press a kiss to her husband's cheek as she held onto Wren.

"Are you alright?" Ellie looked up at Luke, who had turned to stare down at her with soft eyes. "You just seem more tired these days."

"That's because Beans are intent on messing up our entire schedule," Ellie replied, before pressing a kiss to Wren's cheek and grinning. "No, I've just got other things on my mind."

"Like what?" Alex was slowly falling asleep on Luke's chest, which Ellie tried not to coo at. She wanted him to sleep more than she wanted to call him adorable.