i. container sixteen

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞 ─── container sixteen

7th avenue, september 3rd 2009

𝔓ercy Jackson was confused. More so than he had ever been in his life.

He had thought that at sixteen, his problems would be school work, or his love life or anything else. But no, now, his problems were that he had seen far too many people killed by monsters, watched someone that he knew being murdered and almost lost the people closest to him all in the same space of a few days. 

It had been a very hectic past couple of weeks.

The grip on his hand tightened and he was reminded of who he was there with. Turning, Percy looked down at the frizzy hair of Annabeth Chase. Her curls were greasy and knotted, stress having taken it's toll on the girl.

"Hey. How you feeling?" He cooed gently, squeezing her hand as it trembled in his grip. Her face grew paler at the question, fiddling with the key in her hands. 

"I-"

"Sorry, was that a stupid question?"

"A little." Annabeth scratched at the back of her head, but she stepped closer to Percy anyway. 

They turned back to the building they were in front of. It was tall, multiple stories high, with gaudy orange colours on the outside. Annabeth took a deep breath, swallowing harshly.

"Orange was his favourite colour." Percy could feel the sadness in her voice, so squeezed Annabeth's hand once more. They'd been standing outside of the storage centre for near to five minutes, neither of them having the courage to step inside of the building. Percy had a feeling that if they didn't do that in the next few minutes, they might get the cops called on them.

They probably looked slightly sketchy.

"You know, I think we might need to go in." Percy muttered, causing Annabeth to nod shakily, but neither of them made a move to step towards the building. "We probably look like we want to try and rob this place."

"We do look like a mess, don't we?" Annabeth and Percy both managed shaky laughs, though it was only for a short while. But, he supposed it was a win of some form. "We should go in."

"Come on." Percy walked up, holding the door open for his new girlfriend. Annabeth thanked him, walking up to the receptionist. The lobby wasn't busy and in fact, there was nobody truly around as they headed for the desk. The receptionist was clicking away at the computer.

"Excuse me?" Annabeth asked, letting go of Percy's hand to wipe the sweat away on her jeans.

The woman glanced up, pausing as she saw the two teens. Percy could guess that they probably looked like they didn't fit in. Both were dressed in their camp shirts and ripped jeans, but Annabeth's hair was messy and Percy knew that the lack of sleep was making him look gaunt.