xxxvii. the beans

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 ─── the beans

New York, 1st November 2008

𝔏uke sat by Ellie's side, his face pale as Ellie munched on ice cubes and flicked through a crossword book, occasionally stopping to run her belly and hiss in pain. Ethan and Alabaster were both passed out around the room, sleeping in chairs, but Luke was still awake.

"What's going through your mind?" He looked up at Ellie's words, watching as she began to chew on another ice chip.

"Nothing."

"I call bullshit." Ellie replied, before looking over at Luke with a raised eyebrow. Her contractions weren't close enough together, but it still hurt like a bitch, according to Ellie. "You're radiating stress, and I don't really want that right now."

"But..."

"Don't argue with the pregnant lady." Ellie glared, before patting her stomach. "I'm about to push our children out, so stay on my good side."

"Duly noted, Els." Luke leant forward on his arms, pressing a kiss to Ellie's hand as she ran her fingers through his hair. 

"You called your dad?"

"No."

"You should I think." Luke nodded. "It doesn't have to be about me giving birth, just tell him about Thanksgiving and ask if he'll come over."

"Yeah, can you pass me my phone." Ellie shook her head.

"I'm pregnant, about to give birth and an invalid." Luke sighed, before grinning and leaning down to press a kiss to Ellie's lips. "Love you."

"Love you too, even if you are annoying." He grabbed his phone, disappearing into the hallway so that he could call his dad. Despite Hermes being a god, his father was relatively up to date with modern technology, which was occasionally a blessing.

Dialling the number, Luke placed it to his ear as it rang twice, before Hermes answered.

"This is Hermes."

"It's me."

"Luke! What's going on? Anything you need? How's Ellie?" Luke dealt with the better question first.

"Ellie's good, we're actually at the hospital because she's gone into labour." 

"Well, if you need anything let me know, and send me an update just so I know she and your children are alright." Hermes sounded like he was smiling.

"Ellie wants to know whether you and Apollo can come round for Thanksgiving." There was a pause on the other end, as Luke tapped his foot along the floor. "You know, 27th of November and all."