xx. moving

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 ─── moving

Faltbush Ave., 7th February 2008

, 7th February 2008

"𝔚hat...?" Arabella was in a state of shock as she looked at the people beyond the door. Her parents eyebrows were furrowed, though her younger sister remained on her phone, ignoring everything. "I didn't know you guys were coming."

"We're not guys, Arabella. We're your parents, don't use that term." Her mother tutted, as Arabella tightened her grip on the door. "Let us inside."

"I-"

"Don't disobey your mother." Her father finally spoke, his face twisted into a grimace. Arabella's hands shook, staring at the man. He'd never been like this when she was a young child, always smiling and laughing but the past few years of arguing with her mother, had lead to the cold and disregarding man ahead of her.

"I hadn't said anything." Arabella opened the door, stepping aside as she shiver in anticipation and fear at what they were going to see. Her fingers twisted her wedding band around as they all came to a stop, looking around in shock.

"What the hell is going on here?" Her mother twisted, looking at the bare walls and floor of Arabella's apartment. The girl tried to remain calm, clinging onto her wedding ring as she hoped that Luke would be back soon from the new place. She needed his comforting presence here. "Arabella!"

"I'm moving house." Surprisingly, her voice didn't tremble.

"And you didn't tell us?" Her father watched her with angry eyes. "We should have been with you to vet the new apartment, to see where you're living, to speak to the landlords."

"I did all of that." Arabella nodded. This was mainly because Iris, Ava, Luke and Ethan had managed to persuade her that giving her parents her new address was not the smartest idea. "It's all brought, ready to move in. This is just the final stages of moving the furniture."

"Where is this new place?" Her mother turned, glaring down at her eldest daughter as Arabella backed away to the kitchen, putting her back to her family as she packed the final bits of crockery.

"It's still in New York, close to the hospital that I'm working at next year. It's got a garden, and five bedrooms." Arabella rattled off. "It's lovely, really nice."

"You managed to afford a five bedroom house in New York on a student's salary?" Her mother scoffed. "That's a complete lie. You aren't able to afford that."

"I didn't pay for it." Arabella sighed, turning around. "Luke did. I'm moving in with him."

It was so quiet that you probably could have heard a pin drop on the floor.

"You're doing what?"

"I'm moving in with Luke." Arabella nodded. "My lease is almost up, and he's looking for a place to settle in New York, so we decided to get a house together. He's the CEO of a private security company, so it's in his salary. We looked around, or started in like November of last year. We weren't going to buy, merely look at our options, but then we found this house and it's perfect."