bonus chapter. the what ifs

𝐛𝐨𝐧𝐮𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 ─── the what ifs

new york, 1st november 2026

"𝔐orning." Ellie yawned, stretching her back out as she padded down the stairs, calling out to her family. She guessed that she was the last awake, having been up late last night to be at the hospital on a longer shift.

Two German Shepherds began to weave around her, two of Cai's puppies, and she soothed both as she followed the amazing smell towards the kitchen. Hovering in the doorway, Ellie began to grin at the sight of her family.

Alex was at the stove, cooking carefully as he tried out a new pancake recipe, whilst Wren laid the table quickly. They were chatting and joking, both excited about their birthday, and birthday party that were to follow that day. Her next eldest, Dean, was slumped over the island, still looking half asleep as he watched them both with tired eyes.

Just like his brother, Dean shared his father's blond hair, but had his mother's dark eyes instead. He was still dressed in his pyjamas, having not bothered to get changed. On the floor to his left, playing with the dogs, was her youngest child, another little boy named James, though his family called him Jay, who took after his mother more than anything. Ellie adored that her little boy looked like her, finding it incredibly funny that two of her children looked like their mother, and two looked like their father.

Speaking of their father, Luke was sitting on the countertop, chewing on an apple and watching his son cook. Occasionally, he would call out an instruction, as Alex was trying to copy one of Luke's old recipes.

Ellie leant in the frame of the kitchen, smiling warmly before Jay noticed his mother.

"Mommy!" The eight year old was on his feet in an instance, rushing over so that she was able to pick him up. Ellie groaned, knowing that technically, he was a little too big for this, but she accepted it anyway.

"Hi baby." Pressing a kiss to his head, she set him down gently, before making the rounds, kissing all of her children on the head and wishing Beans a happy birthday as they laughed and hummed. Finally, she found herself standing in between her husband's legs, standing on her tip toes to press a kiss to his lips and grin. "Morning."

"Hi Els." Luke grinned, as her fingers reached up to trace the scars. "How you feeling?"

"Tired."

"You should have slept longer."

"No she shouldn't have." Alex joked, prodding his mother. "It's our birthday. She has to be up bright and early to celebrate."

Ellie rolled her eyes, before twisting and leaning into her husband's chest as she stared at her family, scattered all around the kitchen, and wondered just how lucky she was that she was able to witness this all.