l. first attack

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲 ─── first attack

New York, 9th August 2009

𝔄va laughed at Ethan's joke, her arm wrapped around the back of Iris' chair, tracing circles onto her skin as Ellie placed a cake onto the table in front of the pair. Ava stopped laughing to look at her.

"When did you have time to whip this up, Doll?" She shook her head. "I swear, you seem to be wonder woman or something. Nurse, mother, part time cook as well now?"

"I wish I could take credit for this. No, this one is all Luke." Ellie shook her head, as she pressed a kiss to her husband's cheek, slumping into the chair next to him. Luke grinned.

"I did have more spare time." Luke laughed, rocking Alex back and forth in his arms as Alabaster passed Ava a knife. 

"With your ever elusive job. That's a first." Ava shook her head, before laughing as Ellie shook her head.

"We just thought you might want a birthday cake to celebrate your birthday, even if it's a bit belated." Ava waved her off, before blowing out the candles as the others cheered. "Make a wish!"

"Don't rush me." Ava rolled her eyes, pressing a quick kiss to Iris' lips, before beginning to cut the cake and handing it out to the others. "Can't even make a wish in my own time."

"It's cause you're slow, mom." Mia grabbed her slice, licking her lips as Ava shot her daughter an unamused look. "What? You're old!"

"This is what you've got to look forward to when those ones grow up." Iris pointed at the twins, who were trying to grab the cake and smash it to pieces.

"Oh, we've already got it from our two grown up children, Alabaster and Ethan." Luke replied, as the boys both nodded proudly. 

"Kids." Iris stated as they all nodded.

"So, what did you do on your actual birthday then?" Alabaster tossed a Malteaser in the air, catching it in his mouth as Mia watched him with wide eyes.

"Iris and I had a spa day at this really lovely place outside of the city, near my dad's," The Castellan family hummed in agreement, as Iris grinned and wiped chocolate frosting off of Mia's mouth. "And then we all went out for a dinner as a family."

"That sounds like so much fun," Ellie mused. She was thinking of doing a spa day with some of her friends soon. She needed to relax as she was far too on edge at the moment, but she didn't want to leave her children. She was slightly attached to them.

Ethan hummed in agreement, before pausing and turning to look at Luke. The man had also stopped playing with Alex, his eyes narrowing before he stood to put his son into Ellie's arms.