xliii. deserving

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 ─── deserving

New York, 28th January 2009

𝔈llie hummed as she placed Wren down into her crib, watching her baby with soft eyes. Luke was still standing in the centre of the room, holding onto Alex with a sad smile on his face. Tapping his shoulder, Ellie watched her husband place their son into his crib, before retreating from the room and closing the door behind them.

"Relaxing night and a good sleep?" Luke nodded at her offer, following her down the hallway. "Night Al."

"Night mum, Luke," The pair waved at him, as he closed his door softly, before entering their own room.

"He's doing well in school, talking about it all the time now so that's good," Luke nodded at her words, entering the bathroom as Ellie sighed and leant against the door frame. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing."

"Luke, you've been notoriously quiet since that whole thing happened," Ellie put out there, wandering in to wrap her arms around her husband's waist. "We promised that we'd speak with one another about whatever was on out minds. So, please, talk to me."

He sighed, turning to look at her with the large puppy eyes that both Wren and Alex had inherited (much to Ellie's despair). 

"I just wished that you had a normal life."

"I don't," Ellie replied quickly, leaning further into him. "I wouldn't have met you, or Ethan, or Alabaster."

"And we also wouldn't keep having issues where things go wrong or my boss shows up to threaten the children." Luke countered.

"Your boss is a dickhead and I still regret nothing." Ellie grinned, pressing a kiss to his jaw. "You're stuck with me now."

"That's reassuring."

"I try my best." He snorted, a grin finally forming on his lips as Ellie beamed. "I missed your smile."

"I smile."

"Yeah, but not this smile," He raised an eyebrow at her words, a small smile forming on his face once more. "That one. That's the smile you have for me. You have a really goofy one for when you're annoying Ethan and this proud dad smile for Beans and Alabaster."

"How much time have you spent looking at my face?"

"You have a handsome face, so a lot." She grinned once more, before standing on her tiptoes to press a kiss to his lips. "In fact, you're just handsome."

"Now who's the cheesy one?" Ellie laughed it off once more, before hip checking him to the side so that she could brush her teeth. "We should go on holiday soon."

"Where to with babies?"

"I don't know. Disney World?" Ellie turned to look at Luke with a raised eyebrow. "I don't know. Isn't that what normal kids do?"

"Yeah, maybe when they're a little older." Ellie replied, before narrowing her eyes. "Right, there's definitely something off here and I want to know what it is. You're being way quieter than usual, and whilst I think the reason you gave me earlier is partly true, I don't think it's the whole truth. So, spill it, please."

Luke sighed, turning back to the bedroom as he pulled his shirt off and chucked it into the laundry basket.

"I just want to see the kids have some normal experience in case I..."

"In case what?" Ellie followed him out, her eyes still narrowed. Luke sighed again, before spinning around to look at her.

"In case I die." She froze, watching him carefully.

"That's not going to happen."

"We need to think about the possibility that it might," Luke replied, spinning around. "I'm a general in a war. There's a lot of people gunning for my head on a stick and Ellie, we have to think about these sorts of things."

"I..."

"I want to make sure that if something does happen, everything is in place for you and Beans and Alabaster and Ethan," He replied, as Ellie continued to splutter, leaning against the wall as she thought. "It's not a fun topic, but we have to deal with it."

"If we deal with it," She gulped as she looked at him. "If we deal with it then that makes the possibility that you might die all the more true and I've got to hold out some hope that it won't happen."

"Look, hopefully it won't." Luke stood up, wrapping his arms around his smaller wife. "But, just in case, I want to do somethings with you and Beans beforehand so that I can say that I was a good father and that I had time with my family, and Beans have photos with me in them."

"You already are a good father," Ellie replied, hugging him tightly. "You're the best father in the world."

He snorted, before pressing a kiss to her head.

"Look, we can talk about it more in the morning, so." He pressed a kiss to her lips, rubbing his thumb along her jaw as she threaded her hands through his hair.

"For the record, I like the idea of Disney World." Luke hummed, pressing another kiss to her lips as he pulled her ever closer to him. She responded in earnest, trying to get the thoughts of Luke dying from her mind as quickly as possible. 

She didn't want to think of that now.

Ellie traced patterns into Luke's skin, leaning against his shoulder as he kept her close to him. She was on the verge of falling asleep, but the urge to stay awake with her husband was stronger. She wanted to spend as much time as possible with him, especially after their last conversation.

"You can sleep," He whispered, one eye watching the baby monitor, and the other watching her. "I can see your eyelids drooping."

"I don't..." She was cut off by a yawn, her eyes fluttering shut once more. "I don't want to waste a single second with you."

"And I want you to get a good nights sleep," Luke replied. Being a demigod meant that he was used to a bizarre sleep schedule and being a soldier meant that when he did sleep, he only saw visions of violence or death. So, he normally didn't. "I'll be by your side through all of it and I'll deal with the kids should they wake up."

"You...You sound like you're going to bury b..." Her words trailed off as Ellie fell into a sleep, and Luke grinned. He knew that she wouldn't stay awake. But, it seemed that even in her sleep, she was determined to keep him near her, as she curled around Luke's body and tightened her grip.

Brushing her hair from her face, he leant down to press a kiss to her lips. 

"Why do you love me like I deserve you?" He whispered to her, as she huffed in her sleep, as if telling him off. "You're too good for all of this and you deserve someone so much better than me."

Hiya,

Luke's deep in his thoughts and feelings tonight and Ellie's tired because I'm tired and yeah that's about it. Also, Alabaster calls Ellie mum and Luke, Luke because he doesn't truly know his mum but from what I can tell, he does know his dad so that's why Ellie and Luke are called that. Also, Luke with kids is *chefs kiss*

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx