xliv. school meetings

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫 ─── school meetings

New York, 5th February 2009

"𝔈llie!" The woman turned at the call of her name, looking over as Leah ran towards her. "Ellie. Is Al alright? I..."

"He's fine, Leah." Ellie grinned at the girl. "I've just got to go and sort all this mess out. Don't worry about him."

"Okay, it's just..." She trailed off, before licking her lips. "It wasn't good, Ellie."

"So, I've been told," Ellie grinned at the girl, though her insides were twisting. "I'll get him to call you later."

"Thanks."

"Mrs. Castellan?" Ellie turned at the sound of her name, watching the woman look her up and down in poorly disguised shock. She knew that the older lady was probably wanting to know how young Ellie had Alabaster, or even if she was a fit mother, but Ellie was running on little sleep and wasn't in the mood for this bullshit.

"Yes."

"Please come in." Ellie entered the room, immediately looking at Alabaster, who was sitting hunched over in his chair. From what she could see, he had a black eye, busted knuckles and a split lip. There was another boy, and his father, sitting in the chairs opposite of Alabaster, who looked considerably worse for wear than Ellie's kid did. She could have beamed in pride but thought that it probably wasn't an appropriate time. "Have a seat."

"Thank you."

"I need to talk to both of you about Alabaster and Joey." Ellie nodded, crossing her legs as Alabaster refused to make eye contact with her. The smaller teen was staring away from her, glaring daggers into the floor. "They had a fight in the school halls and would not break it up. Now, I do not tolerate such things in my school, and I would like to get to the bottom of this."

"Look what he's done to my son's face." Ellie turned to look at Joeys father, before twisting to face Alabaster. She could already tell that this wasn't going to go well.

"Al, what happened?" He glanced up at her, before glaring at Joey vehemently. "The truth, now."

"The truth? Your son hurt my boy for no reason at all, that's the truth,"

"I doubt that my son would ever do that," Ellie growled in response, looking back at Alabaster. "What happened?"

"He was being rude about Leah and her friend."

"He was, was he?" 

"Yeah." Alabaster glared at the boy once more. "Kept calling them names, harassing them. I simply made him stop."

"How dare you accuse my son of such behaviour!"

"Alabaster, Joey is the star of the football team, a good student and well respected in the student body. Why would he do such a thing?" The principal asked, as Ellie turned her glare on the woman. She wasn't believing Alabaster because Joey was the star of the football team?