epilogue two. meet again

𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞 𝐭𝐰𝐨 ─── meet again

the underworld, 2031

𝔚hen Ellie had closed her eyes, it had all been white lights and beeping of hospital equipment, but now she opened them once more and she was standing on the banks of a river, Hermes by her side. In the distance, she could see the faint glow of lights, and a large castle towering over it all.

"Hermes? What's going on?" He smiled at her, dressed in his more formal Olympian clothes that she had never seen before.

"I think you know," Ellie sighed, rubbing her arm as she saw a boat appear in the darkness, someone rowing it. She knew enough about Greek mythology to know what had happened. She was dead. 

"How are the others?" Hermes tilted his head from side to side.

"They will be okay, given time."

"Look out for them, will you?" Ellie mumbled, chewing on her lip at the thought of her children sad and alone up top, without her there to comfort them.

"Of course," Hermes squeezed her shoulder, as the boat came to a stop in front of them. "Very important soul, Charon. Make sure that she reaches the council chamber and is sorted promptly. She deserves it."

The boat driver held out his hand, as Hermes placed, what looked to be, golden coins into the man's palm. 

"In you get, Ellie," Hermes held out his hand, helping her down into the boat, before smiling again. He squeezed her hand, before kissing her head. "You deserve this."

"Thank you, Hermes, for everything," Hermes nodded, squeezing her hand for the last time, before stepping back as the boat pushed off. Ellie turned around, watching as Hermes waved her off, before disappearing into the fog. Her brain wondered what he had meant. What did she deserve? "Where are we going?"

"To place you before the council," The ferryman stated, pushing the boat through the waters until he reached another spit of land. "Go straight and hand this to the main guards. They shall take you from there."

The man, Charon, placed the golden coins into Ellie's hand and motioned for her to continue onward. Ellie took another glance behind her, before stepping onto the shore and walking in the direction he told her to. 

There were other, what Ellie could only presume, were spirits surrounding them. Most were looking down, shuffling along as a large three headed dog watched over them, and none carried the same golden coins as she did.

"Charon sent me?" Ellie said, as a security skeleton looked down at her, before seeing the golden coins in her hand and barging to the front.

"Move!" It rasped, and Ellie winced, following along behind it as she apologised to the other souls, who barely seemed to notice her. "Here! She has drachmas."