xxvii. the nursery

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 ─── the nursery

New York, 25th June 2008

𝔏uke unlocked the door to his house, kicking his shoes off and placing them away as he yawned. Immediately, Cai shot down the stairs and padded over to see who it was, his fur standing up. 

"Hi, puppy," The dog wagged it's tail, hitting the furniture as Luke tried his best to hush him. "We don't want to wake mama up, do we?"

The dog calmed down further at that, as Luke placed his bag down and padded up the stairs and down to the hallway to his room, Cai at his heels. The door was slightly ajar, and Luke pushed it open slowly, smiling at the sight of his wife. Ellie was still asleep, her hands protectively covering her stomach, and Luke wanted more than anything to get into bed, but he was sweaty and dirty from fighting in the Labyrinth.

Cai jumped back onto the bed, curling around Ellie's stomach, as Luke grabbed his pyjama shorts from the dresser and turned the shower on to get the dirt, blood and golden dust from his hair. Getting out, Luke rubbed his hair as dry as he could, before pulling his pyjamas on and padding back to bed. 

Pulling the covers back, he slipped into the bed and wrapped his arms back around his wife, tracing her belly slowly as he curled closer to her.

"Luke, is that you?" He hummed at her words, pressing a kiss to her forehead, as she yawned. "You're back early."

"Yeah," She twisted, looking at him over her shoulder, with a grin. "Had to get home to my family."

"We've missed you." He hummed, relaxing as Ellie began to run her hand through his wet hair, de-tangling it carefully, and brushing the blond strands from his face until they were no longer covering his eyes. His eyes fluttered close as Ellie began to trace the raised skin of his scar, soothing the irritated skin as her hands fluttered down to smooth the mass of scars that the dragon had left on his chest. The soothing gesture, and quiet white noise sent Luke to sleep almost instantaneously.

By the time he woke up once more, the sun was high in the sky and Ellie nor Cai were by him, but the smell of food down stairs convinced him that they were okay.

Yawning, he carried on down to the kitchen, wrapping his arms around Ellie, who was tending to the stove quietly. He pressed light kisses to her dark curls, his forehead stooping to rest on top

"You need more sleep, Luke," She murmured, finishing scrambling eggs as she looked at him, running a hand through his now dry hair. "You're tired, darling."

"Yeah, but I want to stay with you and Beans." Luke whispered quietly. "I've missed you."

"Would it kill you to put a shirt on?" Luke grabbed the kitchen knife that Ellie was using, chucking it at Ethan as hard as he could. "Ellie, control your husband! He's trying to kill me."