𝔽𝕠𝕣𝕥𝕪 ℕ𝕚𝕟𝕖

Words 1994

HARDIN.

"Hey... are you doing okay?" I ask, sticking my free hand into my pocket so I don't try and fiddle with things.

"I'm fine yeah... I'm in a hotel. I couldn't go home." She mutters. I can hear the nerves in her voice.

"I don't blame you." I reply simply, looking over my shoulder at Tessa staring at me expectantly. I smile at her. Nosy as always. I fucking love her.

"Sorry I left without telling you. That was wrong and um... sorry." She says and I can tell this is awkward for her.

"You think you could come to the hospital? Your mum's awake." I ask instead of answering her, folding my arm under my other.

It's silent for a couple seconds so I continue with my thought, "you won't be able to come tonight. Visiting hours are over in ten minutes." I pause, remembering another detail, "except for me. I'm sleeping on the chair. Kind of forced them to let me stay." I let out a soft chuckle.

It still takes her some time to respond, "she wants to see me?"

I'm shocked at her belief, quickly glancing at Tessa who is still staring at me, and I walk out of the room so she can't hear me. "Of course she wants to see you, Em. Why would you think that?" I sound harsh but if anything I'm just desperate for her reasoning.

"I don't know... I thought- I don't know." I shake my head at her hesitation. She has never been one to show or share her emotions.

"Listen, I know it's hard... okay?" I pause, trying to think up some way to assure her. This is something she should just know. She should know that her mother will always love her and want to see her. How could she not know that? "The first person she asked about when she woke up was if you and Auden were okay. Especially you, Em. She wasn't the only one who experienced something heartbreaking. You were right there with her." I say, talking slowly and clearly.

It's silent on the other end for a few minutes before I hear her croak out a small, "okay." I hear her sniffle and I lean myself onto the hallway wall. It goes silent again except for the sound of her placing her phone onto something. It sounds like a blanket. "You alright?" I hear a concerned voice in the background and I roll my eyes at how masculine it sounds. Carl. Of course he's there to comfort her. I'm supposed to be comforting her, she's my little girl, not his.

I shove those thoughts into the back of my brain as I patiently wait for her to speak. "Sorry, I had to get a uh... towel." She says, sniffling.

"It's okay." I whisper, looking down at the terrazzo floor. It's quiet for another few moments before she speaks again,

"I'll uh... I'll see you tomorrow dad." She sniffles again and before I can say bye she hangs up.

I don't really care that she hung up quickly, I feel more relief than anything else. I was expecting her to say no.