𝕊𝕚𝕩𝕥𝕪 𝕊𝕚𝕩

Words 2047

TESSA.

It's silent on the way to school. Emery's head is against the window and Auden is half asleep. I insisted on taking them to school today.

How am I supposed to get better if I don't start doing normal things? Anyways, Emery was relieved I wanted to drive them. She didn't feel like driving. I don't blame her.

I drop Auden off first, hoping to maybe talk to Emery before school. I grip the steering wheel tightly as I turn out of Auden's school's parking lot. It takes me a while to get the courage to speak. "I think maybe you should get a job. Don't you think?" I ask casually, turning on the blinker and pulling into the parking lot.

She lets out a breath, shrugging her shoulders. "I don't feel like it." She says shortly, fiddling with her fingers. I park the car and glance over at her.

She doesn't move to get out, she just stares out the window. "I think it would be good for you. It'll be something to look forward to. It might be the first step to getting over co-"

"I don't need to get over him." She shoots me a warning glare. "What I said last night was dumb and... I should've never said it. I did the right thing, leaving the airport." I don't think I've ever heard her sound so distant, and that's a lot coming from me, who has only experienced distance between her.

I don't reply, I just nod my head. "Even if you don't need to get over anyone, a job would be good." I leave it at that, nodding my head at her.

I don't say anything more about it, I just wish her a good day at school and I wait for her to walk inside before exhaling and tightened my grip on the wheel. It's a hurt and sort of intense feeling when you realize your daughter needs you but she won't open up. I realize she has done that to me since she was sixteen but this feels different. I don't think I've ever seen her so sad. It reminds me of myself when I moved to Seattle. I had been waiting forever to go to Seattle and when I got there, it didn't feel the way I thought it would. The only thing I could think about was how Hardin was more than three hours away. Of course, when I moved to New York it was tough too but I seemed to have way more closure in New York than Seattle and New York kind of became my new home. It's even better with Hardin beside me.

After a couple minutes of sitting in the parking lot I let out a small breath and beginning my journey to Laura Layton's house. Laura is an old high school friend that reached out to me about her wedding.

She lives in the outskirts of Manhattan, at least thirty minutes from here but I insisted to come visit because we were really good friends back then. She had a mother like mine, always pressuring her to succeed the way her mother wanted her to. It made me feel less alone sometimes. Noah was a great friend, but his parents weren't as strict as my mother.