𝚃𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝙵𝚒𝚟𝚎

Words 2539

Just a heads up, this is a very intense chapter

HARDIN.

"Will you please text her, Hardin? She isn't texting me back." Tessa begs, grabbing my forearm and squeezing.

I pull it out of her grasp, putting my palm on the top of her head. Her chin is propped up on my chest, and she is completely naked. I can't say no to that!

Not that I want to. I'm also curious about where Emery could be. It has been an hour! She should be home by now. Auden texted us saying his friend Jim is going to take him to his house for a couple hours so we didn't need to pick him up. So, we've been using our alone time for pleasure, but now we are worried as fuck as to where Emery could be. She usually comes home to at least shower and change before leaving the house again but she hasn't done any of that. Plus, she's mad at Tess which worries me more. I reach for my phone and search through my contacts. "She's mad at you, Tess."

"I know that." She snaps, "you don't have to keep reminding me."

"I'm sorry." I send Emery a simple 'where are you?' text and look back down at Tessa who has a frown on her face. "I'm
sorry, okay?" My hand brushes against her smooth soft back.

"Are you mad at me about it too?" She asks, her eyebrows lifted.

I shake my head. "I think you could've played it out smarter, but I also think Emery shouldn't be such a bitch to you."

Tessa looks down as she thinks of my words, and traces small imaginary patterns onto my chest. "I didn't realize that Robby was the reason she was so cold to me." She whispers and looks up into my eyes. "I knew we shouldn't have called the police without asking."

"Then she'd say no and we would've been back at that hospital a week later for a worse injury." I mutter. I feel some guilt spread through my chest at the fact it's my fault Emery hates her mother. The whole car ride home consisted of my head on the window, my eyes shut, and my mind racing with guilt. It started off by feeling guilty for Emery's sadness, but it quickly shifted to feel guilty for putting Tessa in that situation. I made Tessa do it. I did slightly mention that to Emery but that didn't seem to change her mind. She is set on hating Tessa.

More guilt floods through my body at the fact I'm relieved it's not me she hates. I feel so fucking bad for Tess but I don't know if I could take the hate for her. I've always promised myself I would never be like my dad. If my children hated me, then I would be breaking that promise to myself.

Selfish? Sure. But I'm so fucking relieved Emery doesn't hate me whether it's selfish or not.

"If you could, would you go back and take the call instead of me?" Tessa asks as if she can read my terrible thoughts. Fuck... I don't want her to think of me as selfish, although I'm pretty sure she already knows it.