𝕊𝕚𝕩𝕥𝕪 𝔽𝕠𝕦𝕣

Words 1990

HARDIN.

I feel my hands shaking so I tighten my grip onto the wheel, inching Emery and I closer to the airport every second. I hate this, and I feel proud of her. How is that possible?

I think that she's fucking up her life going with him, and I'm hoping that she'll either figure that out before it's too late, or she'll at least realize it on the plane. I'll pay for her tickets, there and back. I don't care.

Once we get there Emery is out of the car and darting up to the doors. Tessa looks at me with a face I can't really decipher. Is she sad, is she happy? I can't tell.

I sink down into my seat, letting out a tired and stressed moan. "She'll be okay." Tessa assures, and I don't respond, I just let her words linger in the air because they somehow make me feel a tiny bit better.

I frown at all the memories that pop up. So many memories of Emery and I. She was at least six, and we were in a cafe. Tessa was eating her cheesecake and Emery was dancing around in her seat to the song playing.

I remember just watching her and thinking how adorable she was. She didn't have a care in the world, and that is when I realized how much I actually loved kids— at least my own. They don't care about what other people think, Emery was no exception. Even though that's changed, and she has more insecurities than I think I had, she is still the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. Of course, Tessa and Emery are tied for first.

Another memory pops into my head, and I chuckle lightly. Tessa looks over at me but all she does is smile gently at me. Now I feel like I have to speak up. She is probably wondering what I'm laughing at. "Remember the time we went to your mum's house and Emery called your mum out on all her shit?" I chuckle again. This was not too long ago. About three months ago.

Tessa sighs shaking her head, "that wasn't okay, Hardin. And you said yourself that it was disrespectful of her."

I huff, "yeah, if it was anyone else. But it was your mum so it was hilarious." I chuckle.

"So how have you been Theresa?" Tessa's mum asks, scooping up a serving of mashed potatoes for herself.

'Theresa' nods, shrugging her shoulders. "I've been good. My wedding planning stuff is going very good. And Hardin is on his... what was it?" She asks, looking over to me.

"Sixth book. It's a short stories book." I mutter, knowing that she just wanted to get me talking.

"Only a short stories book? What happened to writing romance novels about my daughter?"

"He finished all of those." Tessa interrupts, glancing over at me, but I just eat in silence. She is trying to get a rise out of me, but I've learned to stop caring. Well, maybe I'll take my anger out somewhere else, later.