𝕥ꫝ𝕣ꫀꫀ

HARDIN

HARDIN.

I open the door to the basement, taking full strides down, listening for Emery's small steps behind me. I switch on the light, immediately heading for my desk and sifting through a few papers. Yes, my office is in the basement. Is it ideal? Fuck no. But I decided to give Tessa the warmth and comfort of our bedroom. There was only enough room for one desk and bookshelf in our master bedroom, leaving me the only option to move my things to the basement. I'd like to have some fucking air conditioning so I can fucking breath, but overall it's fine.

Emery stands awkwardly by the steps, her arms crossed over herself and her thumb scrolling through her phone. I roll my eyes, walking over and snatching her phone. "This work doesn't involve your shitty screen." I stick it swiftly in my pocket before she can protest and open the small closet door where I keep the shredder.

"Why do I have to do this? I apologized."

"No, you bullshitted, and shouted at your mother. You also were out past curfew, and let's not forget your drunk—"

"Okay, okay!" Emery interrupts. I'm guessing she's having enough reminders of her mistakes in the past day. "How long will this take?"

I smirk, dragging out a huge hamper full of balled up paper. It's overflowing from the top, and there are a few scattered around the room too. "Until there is no more used paper."

"Why don't you just throw this shit away?"

"No cursing, Emery. And it's so I can give troublemakers like you a job." I smile at her to show my humor and she chuckles lightly, but quickly gathers her posture back into her snobby one. I begin to walk past her towards the stairs. "Oh! And just a heads up, your mum might call you to help her make cookies upstairs for your new neighbors. Do not turn her down."

"But what if I don't want to?"

"You were able to do all you wanted last night, today is your makeup day." I honestly have no idea what the fuck that means, but it sounds right to me. I think we are actually going pretty easy on Emery. It's definitely better than taking her books away. She loves those pages as much as life itself.

While I tread up the stairs I hear her mumble something along the lines of "I can't do anything..." and "I have no control over my life." I slightly frown at her words. I don't want her to feel that way, but I also don't want her going out and experiencing the worst parts of my life. I want her to be safe under my arm at all times.

When I get back upstairs, Tessa and Auden are on the couch, the tv is on but they are consumed by their phones. I walk over and rest my hand on Auden's fluffy hair, chuckling softly when he quickly looks up to see the culprit. "Hey, little man. What are you doing there?" I kneel down and glance over his shoulder from the back of the couch. He quickly hides the screen from me and his face flushes. "What are you watching?" He better not be watching fucking porn. I mean, right here on the couch in front of his mother. She would be devastated.