𝕊𝕚𝕩𝕥𝕪 𝕆𝕟𝕖

Words 1998

TESSA.

"No mother, I'm fine. Hardin and the kids have gotten me all taken care of. There's nothing you need to worry about." I say as I unbutton my jeans. Hardin watches me carefully, looking up at me as if saying 'you need help?'

I shake my head, trying to put all of my attention into what my mother is saying. "Well Theresa, I don't think Hardin is really fit to take care of you. What if you fall and you start bleeding all over the place? What is he going to do?"

"Well, I'd hope he'd call an ambulance." I say annoyed, tugging at my pant leg with one arm. Suddenly Hardin waves my hand away, grabbing ahold of the jeans and gently tugging them down. I roll my eyes. I'm not a little kid, I don't need help getting dressed and undressed. And if I wasn't on the phone with my mother right now, I would tell him just that.

I see a small hint of a smile appear on his lips when my pants are finally off. He is making this very difficult to pay attention to my mother. "I just think you need someone like me to be there if anything happens. I'm a mother, I've taken care of kids before-"

"So has he, mother. He made my children." I say, making my annoyance clear in my tone. I haven't seen her in a very very long time. She might not sound like it now, but she actually is kind of okay with Hardin now. Ever since she married David she has lightened up a little. She just needed a bit of love.

That doesn't mean she doesn't think lowly of him still. She might be okay with him but it's definitely not okay enough for her daughter. She won't mention that anymore though, because that does nothing but push Hardin and I closer. "Oh yeah, I know. He just doesn't know how to mother you. And I know Emery isn't going to help you."

"Mother, stop. I told you not to talk about her, and I meant it." I say, getting defensive. My mother doesn't like Emery. Well, she loves her because she is her grandchild but she always has something rude to say about her. 'You should've parented her better, Theresa. She shouldn't be going out drinking every night.' She'd always say.

"I'm just saying, she won't know how to take care of you. She was never taught how." She explains, trying to make her reasoning better, but I shake my head, shutting my eyes and sighing.

"You don't know how she was taught." I say lowly, opening my eyes and Hardin is rolling his eyes, huffing out a breath as he sits on the toilet.

My mother visits few and far between ever since she judged me on my parenting. It's fine if she does it to me, she just can't help but try and fix every little flaw in everything I do, but I refuse to have Emery go through that. I refuse to have my mother discipline her because I know that Emery will then doubt herself and she won't be as confident as she is now.