𝙵𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚢 𝙾𝚗𝚎

Words 1605

EMERY.

My eyes slowly open. The light glowing in the shape of orbs in between my lashes as I scrunch my face in pain. I press my lower back into the cushions, my body instinctively trying to curl up into a little ball. I close my eyes again, deciding that I don't even want to try to figure out where I am. My eyes are hurting, my stomach feels empty, every time I move an inch it feels like a hammer stabbing my ribs, and my throat is sore. I'm complaining. I know I am. I deserve to be able to. I also deserve to be able to sleep it off and to forget.

He didn't mean to do it. We were both high and he gets mad sometimes. It's happened before. I feel another sort of pain, but it's deep inside. Buried under the feeling of the steel hammer jamming into my ribs, I feel a worse pain followed by a thought; it has never happened this bad before.

You'll think the feeling of a hammer to your ribs would be worse than the feeling of anger and sadness. You're wrong.

The feeling of a hammer to your ribs doesn't last forever like the feeling of anger and sadness.

"Honey?" My head turns to the source but I do not open my eyes. I feel a warm hand in mine and I finally feel something other than the endless pain in my chest and the temporary pain in my bones. I can feel my lips turning upwards in a soft smile and I can feel my fingers slowly wrap themselves around my mother's warm hand. I can feel my lips open and I can hear my brain processing the words as I try to speak it, but I quickly decide against it once I let out a breath and I close my mouth shut. I'll keep my eyes shut too. "I'm glad you're awake." She whispers, her thumb rubbing patterns onto the back of my hand. "I want to tell you this before you hear it from someone else. I called the police and Robby has been arrested. There's an officer here who wants your side of the story but I told him he's not allowed in here. He'll have to wait until you are released." I hear the sound of her pants bending with her knees as she squats down to my level. I can feel the hot breath from her nose onto my pale skin.

"Hmm." I hum, her words slowly processing in my mind. Mom called the police. Robby. Arrested. He's gone?

"I'll kill myself if you leave me, baby." He said. "Please, baby, listen."

My eyes fly open, immediately being met with my mother's worried gray ones and I quickly push myself up, growling in pain as I do so. Mom also launches up, her hands flying to my forearms to slow me down and her eyes fill with fear. "Emery! Calm down. You can't move so much, you're still healing."

Instead of screaming at her. Instead of pitching a big fit like a three year old I truly am, I sit still. A terrible, awful, dreadful, and deadly feeling spreading through my chest, hurting me worse than the anger and sadness lingering in the background.