𝚃𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚂𝚒𝚡

Words 1664

COLE.

"Cole!" I jump awake when I hear my name and look into my doorway to see my mom. "What are you doing?"

I glance over where I last saw Emery before answering, "I... I guess I fell asleep."

"Well, now we're going to be late! Get dressed!" She scolds, before looking around my room. "And where did your lady friend go?"

I gulp, shrugging my shoulders. I knew I shouldn't have fallen asleep. She probably left because she felt awkward. "I don't know."

"I'm right here." She mumbles from behind mom, "I had to use the bathroom." She sounds so much more polite to my mother than she usually does. She also sounds somewhat shy... what's wrong with her?

"Oh, well it's alright sweetheart. Why don't you come with me while Cole gets changed?" She puts her hand on her back and guides her away from my room.

I roll my eyes and shut my door. I'm glad my mom is taking her away from my room while I change because I'm a very private person. If Emery was just standing outside of my closed door while I change, I would feel awkward. Even though she wouldn't see anything... I don't know, am I weird for that? Probably.

I change into some clean skinny jeans, and a blue shirt that fades to white. I slap some vans on my feet and grab my hoodie, traveling downstairs in under a minute.

"Alright. Barry! Let's go!" Mom shouts into the dining room. He always is either in the dining room reading a news paper or in the living room reading the newspaper in his chair. He isn't what you call a great dad. He only acknowledges me and mom when he needs something and I'm honestly fine with that because he's a total dick. He doesn't drink that much anymore, but he was such a prick when he did. He barely says a word to us now. I can tell mom is just as fed up with him, because she doesn't speak to him as much as she used to either. I'm pretty sure she gave up on fixing him a while ago.

He comes walking out of the dining room with the newspaper under his arm. "Maybe you should leave that here, honey." Mom politely requests.

"Maybe I should leave you here, honey." He says back and I see Emery try to hide her small smile. Yeah, he isn't that good at comebacks either, but they are enough to get mom frustrated.

She huffs and walks out the door. Dad follows her and Emery stays beside me. I'm pretty sure she's slightly uncomfortable. I don't blame her. She has never met my parents. "What was that about?" Emery chuckles.

"They are always like that." I chuckle too, even though it's not really funny. I wish they were happy with each other and loved each other like couples are supposed to, but they don't. At least they aren't discussing divorce, because I don't think if I could handle that. Especially right now when we just moved here to get closer to my dad's family.