ડꫀꪜꫀꪀ

TESSA

TESSA.

I sigh with relief as Emery shuts the door behind her. Finally some alone time with Hardin so I can figure out why the hell he's giving me the cold shoulder. Right now he's in the basement working on his books, but all this morning he was so distant.

We did have a huge fight last night, and I'm not talking about the one on the sidewalk.

◉‿◉

I had just finished my big marathon of friends, and was now headed upstairs to see what Hardin was doing. He never came back downstairs after Emery told me he was helping Auden with homework. I assumed he decided to just go to bed, maybe read a book. I hoped he wasn't avoiding me. I don't know why he would. I didn't do anything.

I slowly creaked open the bedroom door. It was around 10:00, so I was sure he wasn't asleep. The lamp was on, and in his hands he had his notebook, scribbling inside of it, writing some sort of story.

"What are you writing?" I broke the silence, and he looked up at me.

"I didn't hear you come in." He ignored my question, and I shrugged, walking over to my side.

"Sorry." I mumbled, although I'm not sure why I apologized... I decided to come up with a reason. Maybe I should've apologized for mentioning our daughter to the young man, even though I still believe Hardin is being very over dramatic about the whole situation. "You know, for mentioning Emery to the boy."

He rolls his eyes, letting out a big sigh. It peeved me that he was being so moody about this. "So you agree that she shouldn't be around him?" He said somewhat loudly.

I rolled my eyes. Was he listening to himself? I thought I was controlling, but he's way worse! I actually have reasons to be worried about Emery when she's out past 12, but Hardin trying to keep her away from men is ridiculous! "We can't control who she hangs out with!" I shouted. I caught myself and instinctively covered my mouth.

He huffed. He snapped his book shut and placed it on his lap. "You know, I could say the same thing to you! You fight with her every single time she's out later than twelve. You know what she's probably doing? Drinking, and partying with guys college age. So I think we both have the same problem, you just don't know it." He pointed the book at me before flinging it onto his nightstand. I know Emery better than that, and I still don't believe she's out partying. It has to be something else.

"So why are you overreacting about a boy who isn't college age!" My voice is in a shouting whisper, and he runs his hands through his hair.

"Because, college age or not, they are all the same! They all want the same thing. They want her mouth around—"

"Stop! Don't finish that. God, Hardin." I shook my head, putting my face in my hands. It was so overwhelming.

"Exactly! I'm trying to keep my cool here."