Chapter Forty-Two

Valentine

Sitting unnoticed in one corner, I took a sip of Rosé and let its bright and crisp sensation burn my throat. I let my eyes roam around Mrs Warren's backyard, and it's quite amusing to see everyone enjoying their meal and doing their own business. I saw Jack and Aldrin on the table nearest to the buffet table, and they were both like hungry dogs eating as much as they could. Ivana was with Mrs Warren, and they were both playing with baby Axelle sharing their motherly instincts. I'm sure they're exchanging some stories about babies and toddlers. Ivana could use some more advice from a very seasoned mother like Dominic's mom. I quickly moved my sight away from them since I'm starting to remember how irresponsible my mom is, and I don't want that dark cloud to bring heavy rain on my parade. My eyes were eventually redirected towards where Dominic is and instantly saw how gleeful he was. I've let him enjoy this moment with his old gang. They were all huddled in a single spot as they shared laughter.

Dominic's birthday party went exactly how I envisioned it in my head. And I'm highly convinced that I've pushed him deep down the abyss. I was nervous for a while that Dominic might catch a whiff of this surprise, but it turned out the plan is five steps ahead of him. I guess this is the first time that I'm actually a few steps ahead of him. He's always the smart one and is always a few steps ahead of me. That's the whole reason why he got me sequestered right at the palm of his hands and managed to break my heart and get away with it. But this time, he's the one being held right in the palm of my hands.

With the success of this surprise, all credits go to Ivana for editing the plan. She has a lot of things to say. Don't do that, do this instead, blah blah blah. She's almost become my advisor instead of my friend, but I think she's acting on her own anyway. I didn't ask for her help about everything, but here she is offering the best options, and she's even going as far as scowling at my bad decisions. I've got thank her for that. I don't think I'd be this successful with the surprise without her guidance.

Since almost everyone is preoccupied, I've come to a decision to be alone for a moment. I ate the last slice of the cake and sipped the last drop of Rosé before eventually staggering somewhere else private. I lit up a cigarette and thought that the first puff tasted so much like refreshment.

I stared at the sky, and I've got to think of the moment I stared into Dominic's eyes a while ago. Although that was intentional and just a minute detail of my plan, I felt like I was being pulled into a whirlpool without my permission. I felt like Dominic is working his witchcraft, inadvertently pulling me towards him. It's clearly a déjà vu moment from when I was used to be in love with him back in high school. It's the old moment where every time I look into his eyes I get pulled by some unknown energy. I'm not trying to say I don't have any feelings for him now. I admit that I do feel something for him, but I'm confident that that feeling isn't strong enough to stop me from breaking him. I sat down on a stool and continued smoking in silence.

"Can I have some of that?" Someone spoke from behind. From the voice itself, I knew it was Dominic.

"Sure," I agreed as I bent with a little surge of discomfort because of the tightness of the suit. I fished the pack of cigarette from my pocket and handed it to him.

"That was one hell of a surprise," Dominic uttered which momentarily threw me to a panic mode.

"What?" I asked, pretending to not hear him.

Could it be that he knew about it?

Could it be that he already knew about my plan?

Could it be that he finally realized what I was trying to pull off? If so, then kill me. Someone, a sniper perhaps, should just pull that trigger and shot me in the head.