Chapter Fifty-Five

Valentine

"Valentine is that you?" My mom asked as soon as she laid her sight on me.

I stared at her and I was frozen for a moment. I don't even know exactly how to feel. Seeing my mother for the first time since the last time I cursed her and drove her away from the house gave me mixed feelings. There's a lot of emotion stirring up inside my fickle heart and I'm not sure how to handle it. I don't think I can face this fiasco that I just purposely dove into at all. I'm going to say it's pretty clear that I'm not angry anymore however, there are still some needles stuck in my chest.

Looking at my birth mother now, she most definitely aged three times than my father did. I'm not trying to judge her for that but the changes on her were strikingly evident that even a youngster could notice at first sight. I stood frozen in front of her for a while longer than I thought until I felt Dominic reached out for my hands. That gesture somehow sent me the right amount of energy and bravery that I needed.

"M..." I was about to call her mom when I heard the little girl talk. I looked down at her and she's nothing but an adorable child.

"Is that a cake?" The little girl asked pointing at the box of cake that I just bought outside while we were following them.

"Oh yes, I bought this for you and your sister." I smiled at her and went down on my knees. "Here take it!" I handed the box and she gladly took it with a crooked smile painted on her face.

"Yehey! CAKE! CAKE CAKE!" The little girl blabbered out as she staggered with the box of cake. To be honest, my heart jumped out of happiness when I saw how she smiled out of a simple thing.

"Hold up, Violet!" My mom said halting the kid. "What do we say to him?"

"Thank you, mister," Violet turned around and looked at me with a little bit of shyness in her disposition.

"Okay, move along now." My mom uttered and turned her attention back to me.

Just keep yourself calm, I mentally told myself.

"Wha- what are you doing here? I... I sh..." My mom seemed to be out of words and I completely understand that. Much like her, I'm out of words too. I'm carefully assessing my actions so I won't create unnecessary conflicts.

"I... We followed you from the restaurant." I spat trying to act as relaxed as I could. I feel like my anxiety is quickly escalating right now.

"Oh, come on in!" My mom offered completely ignoring what I just said.

"I don't thi..." I was about to deny her offer but I felt Dominic squeeze my hand. "Uhm, sure." I nodded giving Dominic a nervous side-eye.

My mom let us in inside her noticeably unkempt apartment. Dominic followed behind and had to let go of my hand for a while. He was mostly keeping himself quiet yet supportive in this situation. His mere presence gives me the right amount of strength that I needed to face my mom. He knows that I hated my mom for the longest of time. I'm sure he can still remember everything that I shared with him about my mother. The hate, the disgust, and all of the loathing that I've relinquished aren't easy to forget.

"There's a lot of fabric here," I spat as my eyes deliberately roamed around the small room. I noticed there were a lot of fabrics draped in almost every spot. There's also a sewing machine and some mannequins with unfinished garments.

"That's because I'm a seamstress now." My mom admits as she was removing rolls of fabric from what I think to be a dining table. I'm sure it's a dining table since it's just a few meters near the kitchen.