Chapter Ten

Valentine

Dominic is back.

I sat quietly perplexed at the couch after Ivana left the moment her baby had fallen to sleep. My eyes were completely glued on the stuffed toy that was left on the other side of the couch. Its eyes staring back at me as if there's something on my face. I threw a pillow to cover it. I feel surprisingly happy and excited that Dominic is finally back but that lingering thought of Dominic being back in town looped like a trap beat inside my head and kept me uneasy for the whole day. I didn't expect to retreat like a coward back to my room and imagine a lot of things about the Dominic that I've known back in high school, the Dominic that thought me how to love, the Dominic that captured my attention and he's doing it again. I haven't spent a lot of my precious time thinking about him for the longest time in my life and believe me, after all of the hurt he caused me, it certainly felt so relaxing that he's not stressing me out for the past several months. Unfortunately, right now, it only took a simple whiff of his return for all of it to come storming back just like a boomerang. I am stressing about him all over again and I shouldn't be stressing about him like this again because I know that I've already moved on from him. The feeling isn't that great at all.

I laid supine on my bed thinking he must've changed a lot. He must've grown a lot of facial hair and looked like someone who's been stuck on an island for a long time. He could've also gained some toned muscle and looked like he'd been living at a fitness gym. He must've transformed into a much more attractive version of himself. I have never checked on his Facebook or Instagram and I'm thinking, did he forgot about me at all? There's a high percentage that he already did forget about me. So much like me, that five-year gap was spent in letting things heal naturally and I've already put all of it in the past. I guess Dominic has already moved forward to his life and decided to put me behind.

It's a breath of relief that a week had already passed by slow like a month without a single thought of Dominic conquering my mind. I just centered all of my focus to work and consistently distracted myself at home with a lot of reading and watching. I did a lot of interviews for the applicants who passed the initial interview. I had to bring out the best in me and deal with some privileged people who think that just because they are customers is that they are always right and that they can say and have whatever they want. I had to re-design my office to make it look and feel more like an office. That's a very productive week for me and I rewarded myself with another night of drinking before going on a day off.

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping, the sun directly shining on my face and a headbanging headache. This is just another typical day where I wake up late to an expected yet unsolicited hangover after pulling out an all-nighter. My eyes popped open and quickly burned from the direct sunlight which tickled my headache sending me coiling in pain for a moment. I moved out of my bed and had a long and pleasurable cold shower before finally going downstairs to grab something cold to drown my thirst with. The smell of pizza quickly invaded my nostrils as I was surprised to see Vincent and, quite shockingly, a woman with him at the dining table.

"Wow, you just keep on showing up here whenever you feel like it huh" I slurred out in the open as I walked towards the fridge without paying much attention to Vincent and the woman he was with.

As long as I can recall, Vincent hasn't visited here for the last three months. Not that I give a shit about it but I just don't dig the fact that he just blatantly shows up here every time he feels like showing up here whenever he wants to show up here. I totally get it, he's super busy with Law school and all of that stuff but I'm pretty sure it only takes a few seconds to dial a phone call or even draft a simple message.