Chapter Forty-Eight

Yhannie

I wasn't quite expecting that I would end up helping Vincent resolve this shit that's been dragging him down. It's not my intention to become bossy and order him around to do this and do that, but I just couldn't stomach seeing him broken and lifeless. I got used to the Vincent that bailed me out of jail when he doesn't even know me personally. When I came to his apartment last night, I noticed all the signs that he's definitely struggling. The unwashed dishes, the moldy empty boxes of pizza all around the place, and basically him not taking a bath for almost a week were all signs that something's been weighing him down. Normal people would just say he's lazy for not washing the dishes and not throwing away his garbage. Normal people would even say he's just an unkempt person for not watching his hygiene, but for me, those are red flags. He's slowly descending down the stairs towards rock bottom, and I couldn't just let him struggle like that.

Perhaps part of why I was so eager to help Vincent get on his knees and get moving was because of how I ditched Dominic in high school. After that fiasco with Valerie, I should've pursued Dominic and be the best friend that he needed. Yes, we fought, resulting in him brushing me away but I should've been that one stubborn friend. I could've helped him share the pain, but I just became passive. In a way, this is how I'm trying to make up for that.

When I came back after returning Keiran's ring, I saw the hurt glistening in Vincent's eyes. I don't feel the hurt, but I understand how it's been weighing him down.

"That was quick," He said, trying to mask the current agony that's getting into him.

"It sure was quick. We didn't even have much of a conversation." I replied as I put on my seatbelt. That was a blatant lie, though. Keiran asked if Vincent's doing okay and I just said yes, he's doing great, and he's ready to close this chapter of his life. Hence he finally decided to return this ring.

"Yeah," Vincent sighed.

"He who shouldn't call by his name just practically showed up and immediately asked for the ring, and he didn't even bother to introduce that girl," I explained which is another blatant lie. It's true that Keiran didn't even bother to introduce the girl he's with, but I respected his decision. And I was actually the one who was eager to return the ring to him, he actually thought we are going to have some coffee and some time to talk, but I know it's not going to matter anyway, and I don't Vincent to wait in the car for too long.

"And what did you do?" He asked.

"I handed the ring to him of course,"

"Just like that?"

"Ahuh. I handed the ring and then excused myself," I trailed. I thought I was being the bitch at that moment. Keiran was being kind, but I know that's just for a show.

"You know what Yhannie? We should just get out of here." Vincent suggested, and I agreed with a nod.

"Yeah, we should,"

Vincent and I ended up shopping after having our late brunch at Stephanie's. Five hours later, we found ourselves in a bar.

"Cheers to you finally deciding to return the ring and cutting ties with he who we shouldn't call by his name," I raised my glass in the air as I waited for Vincent's response.

"Cheers to you finally getting hired after being rejected for a long time," He uttered, and I just thought that was a witty response.

I smiled at his witty response, and we both drank our cocktail in one gulp. It's as if we agreed to do this telepathically. We ordered another glass and talked about why a cocktail is called a cocktail when there's no cock in it. It was damn funny. The barter we had was like the connection that I have with Dominic.