Chapter Fifty-Six

Dominic

Who knew this day would be surprisingly interesting in the most dramatic way possible? I was just having a regular date with the person that I love the most, and I couldn't believe things have just turned to a sharp curve. For the most part, I zipped and kept my mouth shut just as Valentine was striking a serious conversation with his estranged mom. I don't know why I called it estranged, but all I know is that they have an interesting history. I thought their relationship is gone for good. Well, it kind of is, but this ongoing conversation is telling me that there's a little bit of hope for it. Valentine used to hate his mother to death, like if the ship is sinking and can only save one between his father and mother, we all know he will choose his father right off the bat. Somehow I'm a little bit confused that he followed her from that restaurant all the way here, but that just tells me that he's changed so much through the years. Maybe he'd changed more than what I'm expecting from him. I immediately thought that Valentine had already forgiven his mother, but I could be dead-ass wrong. What if he's just planning something. I didn't want to think about it.

"Why didn't you called us?" Valentine spat after his mother told her side of the story.

"I was ashamed of myself. Until now I haven't paid the money that I borrowed from your dad." Valentine's mom uttered, and I could tell that it's taking a lot of courage for her to face Valentine like this, especially here in her own home.

"But..." Valentine was about to speak, but his mother cut him off before he could even spit the second word of his sentence.

"I did a lot of mistakes in my life before and leaving you, Vincent and your father was the greatest of them all. I don't know how can I can make up for that. I don't think I will ever...."

I feel like I shouldn't probably be in here with them talking about such a serious matter like this. It's rather strange for me to hear this conversation since I can't relate to it at all and all I can do is listen to what's going on.

"M...I..."

I noticed Valentine was about to cry. I tapped his leg to let him know that I am here and I'll be with him through this, but he just decided that he just ran out of courage to face this and chose to run away from it.

"Vale..." I was about to stop Valentine from running outside, but his mother cut me off.

"Just let him be,"

"But,"

"Hey, hey. It's okay. What I did to them is unforgivable and I understand if he can't contain his anger. I was the one to blame for everything." She trailed, and I can almost tell that she's on the verge of a breakdown, but she's trying to fight it.

"That's not true," I uttered. I think I was trying to lighten up her situation, but even I know she's to blame for everything. She's the reason why Valentine had a hard time growing up and fitting in with the rest of the normal kids. This is really getting really hard for me, at least in my situation, and I can only imagine how Valentine's feeling right now.

"You're his boyfriend right?" She asked all of a sudden, looking at me straight in the eye.

"Uhm..." I nodded in agreement. There was a moment of uncertainty in me, especially with the fact that I'm still trying to gain Valentine's trust back, and he already introduced me to his estranged mother as his boyfriend. It's clearly a stretch, but somehow, I am feeling the fantasy.

"See, I didn't even know my son is gay." She let out a quiet chuckle, and I can almost imagine her reaction if she knew that both of her sons are gay. This woman missed a whole series of Valentine and Vincent's life. "I am such a terrible mother." She uttered as a single tear dropped from her eye.