Chapter Sixty-Seven

Valentine

The plane just landed, and I noticed the sky isn't feeling well today. As soon as I was out of the airport, I called Ivana and asked her to buy some flowers. I told her to meet me at Dominic's house. Judging by her high-pitched tone, she was excited, but she didn't bother to ask any questions. If Ivana was feeling excited, then how about me? I don't know what's the highest word for too excited, but I am feeling its highest form, and I am in love with all its titillation. My heart won't stop from making my legs tremble even after I booked a cab straight towards Dominic's house. I was a little bit worried that I might stumble into traffic since it just rained, and I was exactly right. We passed by an unfortunate car accident, and it definitely happened a few hours ago, from the looks of it. We only saw lots of blood, but there are no bodies to be seen. The victims are probably in the hospitals by now.

I was already a few kilometres away from Dominic's house when I got a call from Ivana. She's with College, and they're on their way to a hospital. I was confused and immediately asked why and she revealed what happened. I was expecting Ivana to call about my location, but I was crushed when she told me that Dominic was in the hospital. Ivana was more than concerned, as she has always been. She was precise when she told me what happened and which hospital. I got agitated all of a sudden, and I think I almost screamed at the driver when I instructed him to switch routes towards Saint Vincent.

It was a lot to take in. My head was just basking in the excitement of finally seeing Dominic after all the shenanigans, and this shit happens. It never crossed my mind, but that car accident that we passed by actually involved Dominic. I was on the verge of tears while sitting impatiently in the backseat of the cab.

"Why?" My head was filled with so many questions involving the question, why?

"Why does it have to be Dominic?"

"Why is this happening to me?"

"Why am I continuously being mistreated by life?"

"Just why?"

I feel like my head's about to explode. My heart ticked faster and faster. I'm beginning to get the feeling that if I don't reach the hospital in time, my heart will explode into bits and pieces. What if this is the last time that I'll be with Dominic? I immediately shook the negative thought away and tried to hope for the best. When I got to the hospital, Ivana met me at the lobby and quickly revealed to me that Dominic's condition is stable and there's not much to worry about. The revelation quickly eliminated most of the questions and assumptions that were formed inside my mind, and I was somehow relieved.

We staggered towards Dominic's private room, where I was immediately met by Dominic's mom just outside. She quickly hugged me super tight as if we haven't seen each other in years, and that's when she eventually confessed that they were just making things up to prevent me from seeing Dominic. She was sobbing even after I told her that I'm okay with all of the things she did.

I had every single right to get angry at Dominic's mom for making things difficult, but I felt different. I guess I'll have to thank her for letting me realize how much I love Dominic. The anticipation of wanting to see and feel Dominic made me do things that I didn't know I can do by myself. I travelled alone all the way across the pond. I walked the streets of a foreign country alone and never got lost. And I'm pretty much confident that I've earned the right to be Dominic's man forever.

Aunt Katya finally invited us inside the room, and my eyes shed tears the moment I saw the unconscious Dominic. He has some stitches on his head, and his arm is broken. I felt weak as my feet dragged my body towards the bed. I hugged his body and started crying. I mumbled things like "I'm sorry," and "I love you", but I don't quite recall some of the other things that I said because things began to feel fuzzy. I had to stop crying, so I won't get him wet.