Chapter Twenty

Dominic

I shut my eyes as I unprecedentedly locked my lips on Spencer's. Valentine had begun to get back on my head, and all I wanted is to have some distraction. I was dying for someone to pull me from sinking and take me away somewhere to a distant place where I can be safe and sound, where I can breathe properly, where I am strictly forbidden to think about Valentine Grande. His surprising appearance made me feel as if someone wielding a Gatling gun had open fired towards my vulnerable body. I don't want to think about Valentine or anything that has a connection to him right now, so I was ready to take Spencer's hand and jump into the ocean full of sharks. But even now, as I was kissing Spencer with both of my eyes closed, I can still see Valentine's face. I thought I'd push him away, but I ended up imagining that I was kissing him. I imagined this is us five years later if I hadn't thrown the wrecking ball towards him. I wanted him to kiss me back, and I was making the utmost effort to seduce and turn him on to make him kiss me the way he used to.

"What was that?" Spencer cut away from the kiss that I initiated, and that was the moment that I was relegated back to reality. Spencer stood shocked and confused in front of me. As much as I wanted to run away and follow Valentine, I just can't.

"Er," I was speechless. I don't know exactly what to say. "Uhm. I'm kissing you?"

"Yeah, I know that, but what was that all about?" Spencer was obviously taken aback, but he's keeping his cool.

What is he even complaining about? He made me think that this is all that he wanted. I just gave him that.

"Nothing," I mumbled. I can't even think of any lie to tell Spencer because Valentine is digging through me. Coming home was already terrifying for me, but seeing Valentine again after five long years is more than enough to give me a heart attack. Why do I have to bump into him tonight? There are lots of days and nights to bump into him, and fate chose to do it in this type of situation. What the actual fuck!

"Hey Donathan, you can tell me," Trying to be a good friend, Spencer looked at me straight in the eye. "You can trust me," He uttered.

"It's just," I paused for a moment and had a sword fight with hesitation. I don't know if I should tell him the truth or just concoct a lie to stop him from asking. "Uhm...Valentine and I, Uhm."

"You know what, it's okay. You don't need to tell me if you're not ready yet," Spencer spat and held my hand. I can feel how cold it was.

"I feel like I don't want to go inside anymore," I confessed pertaining to our supposed plan of watching a movie.

"What? Why?"

"Let's just go to your place," I spewed. My decision was based alone on how desperate I am to push Valentine away from my thoughts. I've been in pain for years because of him, and I am afraid that it will continue until I get what I deserve.

"Netflix and chill, huh?" Spencer said.

"With pizza and beer," I said in agreement.

Spencer seemed to be pretty happy with my sudden change of plans going accordingly with his other proposal. We both ended up finding the nearest pizza parlor and momentarily argued about the toppings of our pizzas to ultimately buy two boxes, each topped and drizzled with our preferred toppings and sauce. We finally stopped by at a grocery store where we bought bottled beers. We took the elevator up to his place, and by the time we reached his floor, I was already nervous, and I'm beginning to regret my abrupt decision. Is this a good idea at all? How far can I drive my soul away?

I volunteered to hold everything that we bought as Spencer fished his wallet from the back pocket of his pants, pulled a black key card from it, and eventually opening his unit by tapping the key card on a sophisticated security lock. I was already amazed at the key card thing, but I was more than astonished to see just how rich this guy is.