Chapter Thirty-Seven

Dominic

"Do you remember when we used to go to our favorite coffee shop? You know the one right in front of McDonald's?" Yhannie began just right after we finished devouring our meals. The food is as immaculate as I've expected from this extra specific restaurant that she chose.

"Oh yeah, definitely! I miss their iced coffee," I nodded with the last mouthful of pasta still in my mouth.

We have already shared our college stories and some of the things that happened right after high school. I'm pretty sure that's just some of it, and I know for a fact that some other stuff happened after high school that we're not going to talk about, at least for now. Maybe we aren't ready for those kinds of things just yet.

"You know what I've missed about that place?" She asked while carefully wiping her lips with a napkin. She was extra careful not to smudge her hot red lipstick.

"I know you didn't miss their coffee," I spat outright. "You would never miss their coffee or any of their coffee." I still remember that Yhannie never liked any coffee that that shop offered. This woman has a very delicate tongue for that type of stuff, but we always go to that shop just because of its location. The shop has a lot of customers, and it continues to attract other people.

"You're definitely right. I just miss the gossiping and talking about the people who walks by and stuff," She pointed at me, and then we both laughed as if we are thinking the same thing. We used to criticize strangers at that shop and only at that shop.

"I remember that one guy who heard you talking shit about him and then snapped back at you,"

"Oh yeah that guy!" Her voice turned to a shrill. "You know it turns out that he owns a big clothing company,"

"What?" I gasped, not much surprised that we don't know that person, but I still remember that moment because it had me rolling with laughter.

"Yeah, and I actually applied to his company."

"Oh! And did he saw you?"

"No, but I saw him and the people were actually calling him sir. That was the moment I realized that maybe insulting him a few years ago was part of the reason why I wasn't hired." She spat, and I immediately thought she's probably right.

"Bitch, Karma bit you in the ass." I laughed at her. I personally don't believe in Karma or whatever concept it has, and even if there is so much evidence of its very existence, I don't quite understand it.

Our conversation went on for hours to the point that we had to buy some fries and desserts so that people won't judge us for staying for too long with empty dishes on our table. And even if we personally know the owner of the place, we still feel obliged to buy some more food to extend our stay.

We were both in deep with catching up with each other, and while we were both exchanging some fun stories, I was secretly hoping for Valentine to show up to our table and have maybe even just a small talk with us. I feel so much like the longer we stay, the more chances that he'd show up, and that meant I would have to act surprised.

I just realized that I've been dragging the conversation so that we kill more time. Out of that secret hope, my feet had been jerking almost incessantly under the table. And I didn't want to bring Valentine's name up to Yhannie, but I'm even more surprised that she's not bringing his name up to me either. There's like this unspoken rule tonight that we shouldn't talk about him, not even bring back the past that involved his very existence. I'm not sure if Yhannie noticed it, but I kept on looking towards the door that leads to what I believe to be Valentine's office, secretly hoping for Valentine to open the door and strut his way to me.