Chapter Sixty

Valentine

I glued my eyes at the ceramic vase filled with colorful flowers as the nurse prepared the first aid kit. At the first look, I thought they were fresh flowers until I moved a little, and I instantly recognized them to be fake. It seemed too easy to replace fresh flowers with plastic ornaments just because they last forever.

"This is going to sting a little bit," The nurse warned as if I don't already know that it will sting.

"I know." I coughed.

I know it's just a sting, but that's the whole point of this damn situation. It's just a small sting, and that's entirely nothing compared to what I am currently feeling right now. I've got cuts and bruises all over my lips and face, but it's totally strange that I don't feel them at all. All I'm feeling right now is the sharp claws of misery scratching every inch of my inside.

"Okay, here we go," The nurse said as she began cleaning up my wounds. After a few minutes, she was already proceeding on patching them up, and eventually, she's finished before I even realize it.

I walked out of the hospital after paying my bill and went straight to my car. I sat quietly for about twenty minutes, seemingly stuck. My head went back to what happened an hour earlier. The guy just came rushing towards me and punched me in the face. I fought back at first, but then I gave up as soon as he managed to slam me on the ground. He had a bigger body than I do, and although I'm aware of my strengths, I just thought there's certainly no point in fighting back. I just laid there and let him kick me until I was already scrunching in pain. Some of the buzzing spectators had to jump in before the cops even arrived.

I didn't know who that man was or his relationship with Dominic, but I can't deny that they have something going on. Why would he be that aggressive and so protective of Dominic if they don't know each other at all? It definitely hurts to think they have something going on when Dominic and I just went on one of the best dates we ever had just a few days ago.

I needed some time to think and process every single thing that happened. I started the engine and drove to a convenience store and bought some beer and cigarettes, and the next thing I know, I was already parking my car at an empty lot near the bridge. I shut the engine, knowing that I'm going to be here for a while. This place is completely serene; with the absence of bright city lights and the noise of nightlife, it's definitely a place to hang out when you want to think. I wanted to go to the beach and feel the calming breeze of the ocean, but I'm fully aware of how mentally and emotionally exhausted I am to even drive that far. This is the closest place to a peaceful body of water that I could think of.

I brought the case of beer with me outside and opened one can. The first sip tasted so much like heaven, and the next gulp tasted more like a hint of a sorrowful night.

I made a mistake. I made a huge terrible mistake. I don't know exactly how Dominic found out about the list, but I should've destroyed that a long time ago. I should've shredded it to million pieces or even burned it until it's nothing but ash. What the hell am I even thinking? I shouldn't have started this foolishness in the first place. But I've already done all of that, and my huge terrible mistake was taking my hurt and transforming it into hatred. I should've just forgiven Dominic, even if it was the hardest thing to do. And now, I've finally understood that I don't really need to take revenge on him because I still love him and that I was just blinded by the sands of pain and hatred. I wasn't always the better person when it comes to judgment, but I always knew there are people behind me that I can turn to. There's my dad who's been there the whole time. My mom may have hurt him to the fullest extent, but he did not have to take revenge on her. He was in pain for a long time, but I'm sure he had forgiven my mom even before I went to apologize to her.