Chapter Sixty-Two

Valentine

"Hi, Nick. It's me, Valentine, again. It's been three weeks since you haven't returned any of my calls. I'm just worried that something bad happened to you. I've been visiting you every day, but your mom and sister always tell me that you went out. I just think we really need to talk, you know. Please call me back."

I stared at the screen of my phone for a while and eventually putting it back in my pocket after it locked on its own. I gripped the steering wheel and looked at Dominic's house one last time before finally starting the engine and driving to work. I've been doing the same routine every day, and honestly, I've never been committed like this before. I always wake up early just so I'll have some time to drive and hopefully catch Dominic. Unfortunately, I always end up disappointed. I know Mrs. Warren and Collene were lying to me about Dominic being out; he's probably somewhere in one of those windows just watching me. It's been three weeks, and they're just telling me the same old story over and over again. If there's one thing this scenario is telling me, Dominic wants to see me prove my worth to him. At least, that's what I'm seeing. Maybe he's just trying to see if I truly love him by just ignoring me. Testing isn't something new about him, and I know that is a fact because he had tested me a lot of times before. Although I reacted very negatively, I didn't realize that he's just trying to figure out something about me without me lying about it. I do love him to the moon and back. That's why I'm going to do whatever it takes to prove this love to him, no matter what it is. If he says I'm going to jump out of a plane, then I will. If he says I need to swim the Pacific Ocean for him, then I will. For now, I'm going to keep on coming back to their house every morning and every after work until he gives up from ignoring me.

I got to work two hours late again, and I can clearly tell by the crabby look on Ivana's face that she is not having it.

"Late again, huh?" She stood from her desk and met me as I walk towards my office.

"Yeah, I got caught in the morning rush hour."

"Val, we both know that's not true."

"Hmm."

"Hmm. That's it? That's your response?" She snarled at me as she staggered to block the entrance to my office. "Look, I know I'm the one who told you to keep trying until Dominic gives up, but this is already going overboard."

"I'm so sorry,"

"This is going beyond irresponsible. You're always this late, if not an hour, you come in when it's already lunchtime." Ivana went on, and I just looked at her as if I didn't care at all. "I'm telling you this, your dad is an inch close to finding out that you're abandoning your job."

"I'm so sorry. I'll promise to come in on time tomorrow."

"See, even now, you are forgetting your own calendar."

"What? Is there an event that I forgot about?"

"Val," She popped her eyes and stared at me. "It's our day off."

"Oh, okay."

Ivana moved aside, and we both entered my office. I removed my suit and draped it on the backrest of my chair. We did the usual routine. Talk about what's going on. Me telling everything to Ivana, and she's basically giving me a lot of advice. I feel like I'm this brainless king, and she's the smart and wise advisor.

"I feel like Dominic's just testing me," I began just as Ivana laid my coffee on the table.

"You know what, I feel that too." She nodded in absolute agreement. "And you need to change strategy."