Chapter Twenty-Seven

I have to say that this is probably my favourite chapter so far. It was very special to write, and I honestly hope you enjoy it. I recently hit 50k and I am delighted to share with you what will be an amazing new era in the girls’ relationship – and I know you’ll love what’s yet to come as they face the 1989 era. Thank you so much, and enjoy!

            Everything about the rain was so calming. Perhaps it was the sound of the water hammering against the windows, drowning everything else out. Or maybe it was just the concept that it can wash away the pain of almost anything. Summer thunderstorms in California. Beautifully haunting.

            Taylor sat on the floor, leaning against the bedframe, and watched the rain through the darkness as she felt the glare from the red lights of the clock-radio flicker in the shadows. 2:01am. And Karlie slept peacefully in the bed, entirely ignorant to the thoughts and feelings of angst and worry flitting through her fiancé’s mind. The girl with the blue eyes turned to watch her sleeping beauty, her lips plump and coloured as she lay between the sheets. She stood, slowly making her way to the bedside, and leaning down to place a kiss on those beautiful lips. It was too much right now.

            The floorboards in the hallway creaked as Taylor stepped cautiously towards the door, wearing only some leggings, a pair of converse and a dark sweater with a hood. It wouldn’t protect her from the rain – but that was barely the point. She took the keys and opened the door before stepping out into the mass of writhing water that hit against the driveway in the daubed moonlight. She closed the door quietly and, in the pouring rain, made her way to the sidewalk.

            She was already a mess by the time she’d reached the end of the road. The rain had soaked down to her skin. She stood on the corner to watch the streetlamps illuminate the sheen of light that rested across the paving stones, and the glow of the warm light was so crisp and romantic to her. The girl with the sparkle in her eyes and the fire in her heart decided she was too wet to go back now. She looked at the sidewalk, damp with water, and crossed her legs to sit down and just stare out at the glow of the rain in the light. In silence.

*  *  *

            Karlie felt the ice cold mattress by her side, and her lover was gone. She sat up, looking around the room, noticing only the rain and Taylor’s absence. It was only after inspecting the house, the sound of the thundering water on the windows being the only thing to shroud her senses, that she became anxious. The keys were gone, but not the car.

            And the door clicked open, a shock running up Karlie’s spine as she turned to see the girl with the blue eyes slip into the house, soaked to the skin.

“Where have you been!?” She screeched – neither in anger or relief. Taylor didn’t reply, but let the model run up to her and strip her of the sopping wet sweater.

*  *  *

            Both girls lay in bed, the model accepting that her lover would not answer any question she could ask. But she couldn’t sleep with this.

“I have something I want to say.” Taylor whispered through the chilling darkness. She could almost hear the ears of the girl with the green eyes prick up in relief. They were talking.