Chapter Five

The girl with the green eyes sat at the foot of her bed, staring at the date and time on her phone. December 13th, 11:39pm.

            It had been almost a month since she had last spoken to Taylor, be it over the phone or face to face. She had twenty-one minutes left to call. Karlie looked at the time again. 11:40pm. Twenty minutes. She had twenty minutes to make the call. The green eyed model let her fingers dance over the screen of her phone, playing a game of ‘do I, don’t I’ with each movement. She stopped suddenly, throwing her phone down on the bed. If she didn’t make this call, then that’s one more bridge burnt down forever. Damn it.

            Karlie leant across the bed and picked up her phone before heading to the contacts page. She reached Taylor’s name, squeezing her eyes closed for a second, forcing herself to go through with it. That’s when she pressed the call button, and the phone rang. She held it up to her ear, nervous, and waited. She answered.

            The model sat on the bed, waiting for the blue eyed girl to speak; but all she heard was a numb ringing. The silence continued for a good ten seconds before Taylor finally piped up.

“What was it you wanted, Karlie?” She choked quietly. Karlie froze, unable to work out if Taylor was nervous to talk to her after so long or just irritated that she’d made the call. The model snapped out of her worried trance and opened her mouth. She croaked slightly.

“I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday.” Karlie whispered finally. For some reason, she could feel Taylor smiling, grateful.

“Thanks.” The blue eyed girl smiled quietly. Karlie waited, in case she had anything else to say.

“You never called.” She added, obviously upset with her friend. Karlie smiled to herself. At least she knew now what Taylor wanted, vaguely.

“I wasn’t sure whether you wanted to hear from me again.” The model admitted. Taylor gasped ever so slightly.

“Why would you think that? I thought you didn’t want to have anything to do with me!” Taylor laughed in relief, glad that Karlie felt the same way. She was waiting, poised for the right moment to spring an important situation on the taller girl. Karlie grinned down the phone.

“You didn’t try to get hold of me, so I figured that you wanted to make your mind up about what..” Karlie paused to think, “this is.” She finished, referring to the relationship between the two girls. Taylor went quiet, as if she was about to cry, and smiled to herself.

“I was debating whether to tell you. Promised myself I’d only tell you if you called me.” The shorter girl whispered. Karlie furrowed her brow in genuine confusion.

“Tell me what?” She asked. Taylor grinned, looking up, in complete disbelief that she was actually going to say this.

“That I love you.”

         Karlie burst. Never did she expect this of the girl with the blue eyes. A

confession.The definition of ‘cloud nine’ was finally something that Karlie

could relate to. She laughed down the phone, overjoyed that she’d made the

decision to call. Taylor returned the laugh,

relieved and glad she’d finally told the model what she’d decided. Karlie

suddenly realised that there was something else left to uncover, and broke

the laughter.

“What does this mean?” She asked, genuinely excited to see what Taylor

would suggest. The shorter girl lowered her brow and smiled seductively.

“Come over tomorrow and you’ll soon find out.”