Chapter Twenty-One

February had been a busy month – both girls had been looking forward to their trip for over a month – and, finally, March had arrived and they could relax their schedules for a couple of weeks.

            A day had been set aside specially for this trip, and it’s all Taylor could think about during her European leg of the Red tour. London was amazing, as always – the Brits sure knew how to welcome someone with their kickass music venues – but the girl with the red lips was pleased to be home.

            “Honey.” The model mumbled, “today’s the day.” She rolled over in bed, trying to attract the other girl’s attention. Much to her surprise, Taylor sprung out from under the duvet cover, raring to go.

“Yes! It’s here!!” She squealed with excitement, skipping around the bedroom before ripping off her nightgown and pulling on a pair or burgundy chinos and horizontally striped top. Karlie watched her, letting her tongue run over her two front teeth as the shorter girl moved.

“Stripes? I never would’ve guessed.” She commented sarcastically. Taylor turned, smirking and trying not to laugh at her fiancé’s cheeky jabs.

“Shut up, Karls.” She giggled, unable to hide her laughter as she tossed another of her jumpers at the model, who rolled off of the bed just in time to miss the bundle of fabric heading her way.

“Nice shot!” The taller girl continued to tease as she reached across the bed to grab the shirt, “do you want me to wear this?” She asked, changing the subject and holding it up to her torso. Taylor pondered over Karlie’s appearance for a while, and she decided she liked that jumper on her.

“Yes. I like it on you.” She nodded. The green eyed girl smiled slightly, flattered, looking to her feet as she blushed. Taylor knew she couldn’t take a compliment, which is why she continued to point out how beautiful she always looked.

*  *  *

            They were way out of LA by the time they knew what they were doing – with no planning, the idea of a road trip was perhaps not a good one. Nevertheless, they decided to continue on, stopping at a gas station to pick up snacks along the way.

            Karlie stood in line holding a jumbo bag of pretzels and two cans of Diet Coke, gawping at the magazine rack with little interest. And that’s when something caught her eye. By the magazines was a road map, featuring guide books to local beauty spots, including Yosemite National Park, Vernal Falls and Big Sur. Not to mention all the breath-taking beaches along the golden coast. She snapped out of her trance and stepped forward to pick up a map, detailing the route to Big Sur, knowing it wasn’t far from her.

“Ma’am?” The cashier asked the model, who soon realised that she was the next customer. She grabbed a guide, chucking it onto the counter with the soda cans and the pretzels. The woman on the till ran the items through, subtotalling her charge.

“That’ll be..” But her voice trailed off as Karlie slid to her a twenty dollar bill.

“Keep the change!” She grinned before running out of the kiosk and back to the car, a beaming smile on her face and her green eyes aglow. Taylor sat in the driver’s seat, slightly worried by the look on the younger girl’s face as she approached the car, opening the door to sit in shotgun. She stared in silence, waiting for Karlie to make a revolutionary exclamation, but nothing came, and she sat with a grin on her face in silence.