Chapter Three

The coffee shop in Providence was only a couple of minutes away from Taylor’s home on Watch Hill, and considering Karlie was in town for the next few days, she figured that this was the perfect time to meet outside of work. The bistro itself was quaint, really cute. The type of place you’d come across someone like Taylor or Karlie. There was a raised sitting area outside the main entrance, the glossy red door, and a beautiful canopy of colourful ivy crawlers danced around a wooden frame that shaded the outdoor café seats. They served everyone’s favourite classics – espressos, cappuccinos. Even spiced lattes with lashings of cream balanced on top. But the Turkish coffee and Chinese tea always sold the most. Perhaps it was the intense perfume-like aroma of the coffee or the delicate sweetness of the tea. It didn’t matter, of course. It’s the occasion.

            Taylor stepped out of the car, after the chauffer slid open the door for her; the weather wasn’t too harsh, considering it was mid-November.

“Security will be on call if you need us, Ms Swift.” He smiled, closing the door after her. She smiled and thanked him before making her way to the café, giving the driver a kind wave as she turned the corner.

            Karlie parked her gleaming white Mercedes-Benz around the corner from the café. She kicked the door closed with her heel and locked the car with the portable key as she strode towards the bistro, smirking as she heard the click of the lock. Every move she made was so elegantly placed, as if she’d thought through each everyday action, and rehearsed it until it was fit for ballet sequence. The way she walked so casually was an art form in itself.

            That’s when Taylor turned to corner. And Karlie turned the corner, from the other side. Their eyes locked from one end of the sidewalk to the other.

            Karlie approached Taylor slowly, leaving Taylor to quicken her pace as Karlie headed towards her. As she came within a metre of Karlie, the shorter girl parted her lips to greet her friend, but was taken by surprise when Karlie pulled her into a warm hug.

“Hi..” Taylor finally breathed into Karlie’s ear, in mid-hug. Karlie smiled and pulled away, too quickly for Taylor’s liking.

“It’s great we could do this.” Her green eyes seemed to smile at the shorter girl, “ready to go inside?” Taylor nodded, her red lips dry and parted. She bit her bottom lip, trying hard to restore some of the moisture that the nerves had sucked up. Karlie, followed by Taylor, turned and walked up the steps to the entrance and opened the door. The crisp sound of the bell jangling as the two women entered startled Taylor slightly, and she knew that she had to calm down before making any further communication with Karlie. She couldn’t mess up this one.

            The waiter placed the tray on the table by the window, and carefully placed the cappuccino and cinnamon latte in front of Karlie and Taylor.

“Enjoy your drinks.” She smiled, tucking the tray under her arm and heading back behind the bistro bar.

“This looks so freaking good!” Karlie grinned, popping a sugar cube into the cappuccino and giving it a quick stir. Taylor lifted the mug of coffee to her mouth and blew on it quietly before taking a sip.

“Shit.” She winced, spitting it back into the mug and placing it quickly back down onto the table. Karlie looked up at the blue eyed girl, a smile forming on her face as she saw Taylor flapping her hands around wildly.

“Too hot?” The green eyed model giggled, unable to watch her friend cope with a burning tongue without laughing. Taylor nodded vigorously, blowing short puffs of air from her mouth in an attempt to cool her tongue.