Chapter Eighteen

The snow was still pretty thick on the roads as Karlie and Taylor locked up the car, walking down the street to the Swift family home that evening. Through the silhouettes of the bare trees, you could just make out the edge of the moon glowing as it illuminated the indigo skies above the two girls, their breath visible in the frosty shadows. The model looked down from the sky, her eyes falling onto those of the other girl, who stood only inches away. Her heart was in her mouth and the nerves slashed at her mind every time she remembered and every time she forgot about what was supposed to happen in the coming minutes.

“Nervous?” Taylor asked as they reached the driveway, the sky darker and moon higher by this point. The taller girl’s smile broke into a giggle and she rubbed her hands to warm them, followed by a nod.

“That’s a slight understatement.” She commented, moving in to hug her lover. The girl with the blue eyes rested her head on Karlie’s shoulder, warmed by her presence.

“Don’t be.” She replied, kissing the other girl on the cheek as she pulled away to take the model’s hand and lead her to the porch.

            They stood in silence on the doorstep, snowflakes fluttering down onto their eyelashes as the temperature continued to drop. This was it. Karlie could feel her heart thumping through her coat, and her palms and forehead moistened with nerves. She wouldn’t be as frightened if she was merely meeting Taylor’s parents and brother for dinner, or even if they were just coming out as a couple. But an engagement. It was all very fast, a quick escalation. From friend to fiancé in a matter of moments. The chain unlatched and the lock clicked out of place as Andrea opened the door to the girls, welcoming them into the porch.

“Hi, it’s great to finally meet you!” Karlie grinned. She was slightly taken aback when Taylor’s mom leant in to hug her immediately, but it was accepted graciously. Something about its warmth soothed the green eyed girl’s nerves slightly, and the idea of dropping the bombshell wasn’t quite as frightening.

“Honey, come inside, it’s cold out.” Andrea smiled; her hand on the taller girl’s back, leading her inside. Taylor smirked at her lover as she followed them into the house, spying Austin on the couch and Scott in the kitchen. The scent of apple and pork floated through the hallway, accompanied by that of roast potatoes and possibly pumpkin pie.

“Smells good.” Karlie commented as the wafts of melting butter from the potatoes filled the kitchen. Scott smiled, stirring the pot of gravy slowly as he turned to Karlie.

“Hopefully it’ll taste pretty good too.” He added before throwing a pinch of salt into the pot.

            The girl with the blue eyes peered around the doorframe, smiling as she realised that Austin was on his phone. She dropped onto the couch next to him, wrapping her arms around his neck in and hug, letting her eyes drop to his thumb as he scrolled through his messages.

“You’re being nosey.” He commented, turning to look at her. She scoffed, mocking her little brother.

“I’m just reading all the messages you have from the thousands of adoring girls on your course, don’t mind me.” Taylor continued to tease, only stopped when she heard footsteps outside the door. Both she and Austin turned to see who was outside, only to find that Karlie was already making her way in, sitting awkwardly on the armchair across the room from them.

“Honey!” She squealed, leaping from the couch to the taller girl’s lap in a matter of steps. She planted a kiss on the model’s cheek, wrapping her arms around her neck affectionately. Considering that Austin knew about their romance, Taylor figured that this wouldn’t be so alarming. He sat up straight, blushing slightly. The two girls knew it was making him uncomfortable.