Chapter Fourteen

It is crazy how quickly a week can go by when you’re having fun. The skin of both girls held a sun kissed tinge, slightly bronzed from the blazing heat of Faa’a. But, with only four days left of vacation, they had to really start doing something interesting and memorable instead of just chilling on the beach and swimming in the ocean.

“What do you want to do today?” Karlie asked, slicing bananas on the kitchen countertop as the shorter girl sat in an oversized shirt at the bar, drinking pineapple juice. She shrugged, thinking for a minute. The girl with the blue eyes looked out of the window, behind the model’s head, staring at the waves lapping at the coastline as the sun glinted across the surface of the water. That’s when an idea sprang to mind.

“Can we go surfing?” She questioned the taller girl, who stopped cutting the fruit suddenly. She didn’t move, didn’t look to Taylor, who started to regret asking.

“I like it.” Karlie replied, turning abruptly to smile at Taylor, “I suppose that if we head to Teahupoo after breakfast we can hire out some boards and catch a wave, yeah?” She bargained with the singer, who nodded in agreement. Something about the waves curling perfectly in on themselves attracted Taylor to the surf, the idea of riding the waves. It was something she’d always wanted to do – and now she finally had the chance.

            The beach wasn’t too crowded as the girls stepped out of the taxi in thin shirts and denim shorts over bikinis, modestly hiding themselves from the eyes of strangers. Karlie spotted a surf shack a few minutes’ walk down the coastline, pointing to a small building with racks of surfboards surrounding the entrance.

“Looks good to me!” Taylor nodded, grabbing the model’s hand and making a start for the hut.

            As the singer slowed, approaching the shack, she eyed the boards outside the door. Different colours, different shapes and sizes, different fins, presumably all for different reasons. A rack of wetsuits accompanied them, covered in sand from their last use in the sea. Taylor looked back at Karlie, who was only a few metres behind, gesturing to tell her that she was about to go inside. The model nodded, picking up her pace to join the blue eyed girl as she made her way inside.

“Hey, don’t I know you from somewhere? You look kind of like Taylor Swift.” The guy at the counter asked in a thick accent. Almost American, but dusted with an exotic French purr. He was striking, tall, and with tan skin and black hair. His cheekbones were sharp and his jaw was chiselled, but his large eyes levelled out the harshness of his face. He could’ve been in his early thirties, but Taylor benchmarked twenty-five.

“I get that a lot.” She grinned, genuinely undistracted by the boy’s handsome features and tropical scent. Karlie was pleased to see that she wasn’t blushing, albeit very surprised that the notorious ‘boy-crazy’ singer could be so casual.

“Could we hire two surfboards for a couple of hours?” The model asked, joining the conversation, much to the clerk’s delight. The Polynesian nodded, winking at the girl with the green eyes. She couldn’t help but be put off by how forward he was. Perhaps it was because he knew who they were.

“Sure.” He smiled at Karlie, “can I take your name?” The singer smiled, leaning forward so he could hear correctly.

“Taylor..” But, as she began to speak, he cut her off and pointed his pen to Karlie. Rude.

“I was talking to her.” The model furrowed her eyes slightly, confused as to why the Polynesian was being so awkward about the whole situation.

“Kloss.” She cleared her throat, “Karlie Kloss.” The boy scribbled her name into a space on the sheet, grinning.

“So, you really are Karlie Kloss – and you’re Taylor Swift – lucky me.” He bit his lip as his eyes pierced Karlie, dismissing Taylor’s name as if she was some kind of sideshow. The model nodded awkwardly, grabbing the other girl’s hand subtly.