Chapter twenty-four

They rushed over to the Everglen in Tams black Porsche. When they got there and went inside, they heard the cries of four people.

Four?

Sophie stepped into the living room and saw Fitz, Biana, Della, and another guy, older than Fitz, that looked almost exactly like Alden but with Dellas eyes and other less noticeable things, sitting on the carpet.

A tear streamed down her face as she crouched next to Biana and wrapped her arms around her.

Linh was hugging Della, and Tam placed his hand on Fitz's and the other guys shoulders.

"Are you okay?" Sophie asked Biana.

She felt her friends head shake against her chest.

"Why did this happen?" Biana whispered.

"I don't know." But she did. Alden was on Sophie's parents 'stalker' list, Tam had explained in the car. If Sophie had stayed and let the Neverseen take her, or at least had fought them, Alden would still be okay. It was her fault.

Her fault.

"But he will be okay," she assured her friend.

Her fault.

He could be suffering right now, being pounded for information. Tortured. Shackled. Starving.

Her fault.

Missing his family. Wondering how they're doing, not worrying about himself, because that was how Alden was. He didn't care about what happened to him.

Her fault.

The part that hurt the most was that, he was also doing that for Sophie. He was protecting her. He was protecting her family. He wouldn't say anything to put them in jeopardy. He could be dying right now. For Sophie. For his family. For the Black Swan.

Her fault.

She heard the front door open and Dex and Marella rushed in.

Marella joined Sophie by Biana, Dex wrapped his arm around Fitz's shoulders.

Keefe ran in a moment later and stood beside the guy who Sophie didn't know the name of.

They were just sitting in silence, with the occasional sniffle. They were suffering.

It was my fault.

"Alvar," Mr. Forkle said. Sophie hadn't heard him come in. "Give us a minute."

The other guy, apparently Alvar, nodded and left.

"What are we going to do?" Dex asked.

Forkle exhaled. "I don't know. But we won't leave him. He'll be back soon. I promise. But I need all of you to be at your very best. We know what we're facing, so let's fight it. I'll call to excuse you all from school, let's make a plan."

He exited the room.

"You guys want to stay over tonight?" Biana asked.

They all nodded.

————————————————————————

"What do we do?" Biana paced around her pink room.

"We'll figure something out," Sophie hoped Biana found that reassuring.

"Yeah, but when?"

"I don't know," Sophie said. "Soon hopefully."

Very soon, hopefully. Sophie wanted Alden back as much as the rest of them did.

Mr. Forkle came into Bianas room.