Chapter forty-one

The next day at Foxfire , Sophie and her friends sat in the cafeteria, eating the assortment of food the school offered. It was lunch, her next class was P.E. This was the first time she had ever dreaded going to gym class. Mostly because Biana forced her to sit on the bench due to what she thought was a sprained arm.

"What happened to Tam?" Marella asked.

"He's suspended," Linh and Sophie said in unison.

"Oh."

During the day, Sophie had found it harder and harder to concentrate. Hanging out with Linh yesterday was a great distraction, but it didn't stop her restless sleep and the tornado of thoughts constantly whirling around her brain.

She kept thinking about Alvar. What had caused him to do what he did? And maybe what he was still doing. Sophie couldn't imagine the man that was so distraught about his father disappearing, killing anyone. The look that he portrayed in that photo was one of a murderer. A crazed madman willing to kill. Unlike the innocent son who only cared about his dad. And not to mention he was also a Vacker. The sweetest and most perfect people on the freaking planet, and one of them was working for the Neverseen.

Sophie needed to find answers, and quick. She needed a plan.

Thoughts about the growing gash in her arm were in the mix as well. She couldn't tell her family, or her friends. If it grew outside of her arm and into the rest of her body, who knew how long she had left? They didn't need more to worry about. All she could do was hope Elwin had a fix, and that Tam wouldn't tell anyone.

Sophie's thoughts turned dark. What would happen if she died? How would it affect Grady and Edaline, especially after they had already lost one daughter. If they lost her, Sophie wasn't sure if they would ever recover. As anxiety and fear started to creep in, she noticed someone shaking her out of her spiral of depression.

"Earth to Foster!" Keefe flashed his infamous smirk when Sophie gave him a confused look. "There she is."

"What are you thinking?" Fitz whispered into her ear. The close proximity made her blush crimson.

"Nothing," she lied.

"You're making me worry," he told Sophie, his gorgeous teal eyes full of concern. The butterfly's in her stomach flapped around like crazy.

"I'm okay."

He nodded but it didn't clear the worry from his eyes.

Sophie felt a little disappointed when he moved away. She was so pathetic! Crushing on a boy that would probably never like her back.

When the bell ring for the classes to resume, Sophie walked to the gym with Biana. "What is going on with you and Dex?" Sophie hadn't gotten the chance to ask her friend about it yet, so why not now?

Biana stiffened and she fidgeted with the hem of her soft pink blouse. "Nothing," she mumbled, speeding ahead.

Sophie decided to leave it for now. Biana would tell her when she was ready.

They walked through the doors into the gymnasium. Mr. Freeman watched as they entered. "Where's sunshine?!" He asked, a bit louder than he needed to. Sunshine was the Coaches nickname for Tam, considering sunshine was the exact opposite energy that the blunt silver banged boy radiated.

Sophie shrugged. It was better not to draw more attention to what happened yesterday.

Speaking of what happened yesterday...

Donovan Leisure stood in the centre of the gymnasium, listening as Coach Freeman explained the plan for today.

Sophie internally screamed. Donovan caused her an insufferable amount of pain and was about to beat her up, and got away with it Scott free. While Tam beat him up to protect her, and he got suspended.