Chapter twenty-five

Sophie ran into the maze with one of her friends behind her. She didn't know who it was until she stopped at an eerie corner and turned around.

Her heart fluttered as gorgeous teal eyes met her own brown ones, Sophie felt her cheeks flame when she realized that their faces were only inches apart.

"Hi Fitz," she said, and turned back around.

She hoped the dark the red on her face.

"What's the strategy?" He asked.

Not liking they way she always felt around him, she said. "Run." And sped off around the corner. Her plan was to circle the whole maze and hopefully find the entrance.

Sophie ran through the maze, occasionally hitting a dead end, or tripping on a stick...or some air.

She memorized the pathways hoping to find something different in one of them. No luck. She was going through the maze for her third time and still hadn't found anything. But she hadn't seen any of her friends either, which was strange.

She rounded a corner and noticed something different about it. I must have missed this.
She slowed down to a jog and immediately tripped on a higher part of the ground.

Sophie groaned in pain. That didn't feel like dirt. She pulled herself to her hands and knees and wiped the dirt and leaves away. Underneath the grime was a metal trap door.

I found it.

A cornstalk rustled.

"Hello?" Sophie said.

"Took you long enough," Keefe said as he stepped out of the corn, followed by the rest of her friends.

"How long ago did you find this?" She asked.

"Only three minutes," Linh said.

"We beat the superspeeding Sophie!" Keefe exclaimed.

"Whatever," Sophie rolled her eyes. "Let's go."

"Are you sure we shouldn't wait for Forkle to make a plan?" Dex asked.

Biana and Sophie glared at him.

"I guess not," he mumbled.

Fitz bent down and tried to pull open the trapdoor. "Ugh, it's too heavy."

"Or you just can't work your stick arms," Keefe said and bent down to help him. The door didn't budge.

"I think both of your stick arms are defective," Tam said and tried to help them.

The door creaked, but didn't open.

Dex was about to help them when Biana stopped him and gave Sophie a pointed look.

"Okay, Okay," Sophie bent down next to the trap door and shooed away the guys. "I'll show you weaklings how it's done."

"Are you sure?" Fitz asked, "It's really heavy."

Sophie raised an eyebrow at him.

"Yeah for you, you have the strength of a fish," Marella told him.

"Yeah, well I'd like to see you try to lift that thing," Fitz shot back.