Chapter twenty-seven

When Sophie woke up the next morning, she was back in her house with her Edaline sitting beside her, stroking her hair.

"What happened?" Sophie asked, confused.

"Tam and Linh dropped you off this morning," Edaline told her. "Linh didn't want to wake you so she made Tam carry you inside. They said that you sprained both of your arms in football yesterday."

Then Sophie remembered yesterday and struggled not to cry.

"Right," she said as normally as possible.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?"

"Yeah,I'm fine."

"Okay, I'll bring you up breakfast. I told your principal that you wouldn't be going to school until your arms healed, so don't worry about that."

Edaline stood up and left, a few minutes later she came back up with a tray of crapes and berries and syrup.

Edaline sat back down and the two enjoyed the delicious crapes and a nice conversation.

Sophie listened as Edaline told her to be more careful and that she was glad Sophie was okay.
When they were done, her mom kissed her forehead and left Sophie alone to her thoughts.

That was when Sophie started to cry. One of her only friends hated her guts. But it had to be Fitz. The one with the beautiful eyes and handsome face.

Fitz had never acted that way towards her, and maybe she deserved it, but it didn't make her feel any better. The worst part was that there was no way to fix it. She wasn't a physician, she couldn't heal Aldens broken bones and contaminated lungs.

All she could do was wait. But that was the worst thing ever.

Grady and Edaline wouldn't let her get out of her bed unless she needed to go to the bathroom. But there was really no point in keeping her there because it was her arms that were sprained, not her legs.

Sophie tried not to be to hard on them, it wasn't their fault that the Neverseen kidnapped Alden or got her arms sprained.

Sophie barley even knew how she sprained her arms, she guessed that one of her arms got sprained when the Neverseen goons grabbed her and the other when she used her super strength to climb the ladder with one arm.

Kind of pathetic, really.

She looked at her clock and saw that it was only noon and groaned. She grabbed her phone from her nightstand and texted the group chat.

Guys, help, I'm bored.

What do you want us to do about it? Tam texted.

Ditch school and come save me.

I'll save you Foster! I need to get out of this place, they're cramming too much stuff into my brain, my head hurts.

Okay.

I'd love to come and help you, but I have art class later and Wylie's coming back.

Oooooooh, does Linh have a boyfriend??? Biana texted.

No she does not.

Lol.

I'd also like to come, but one of the teachers need me to fix their computer. Dex texted.

Oh, ok. Are the rest of you willing to come and save my poor soul?

I would be, but I have a feeling only Keefe would ditch school and I don't feel like hanging out with him and only one other person.