Chapter twenty-eight

They pulled up to Foxfire. Keefe carried Sophie bridal style into the school and into the cafeteria where their friends were still eating at their table. He set Sophie on a seat and then sat beside her. "Hey guys," Sophie told them.

"Sophie!" Linh stood up and gave Sophie a hug from behind, Biana did the same.

"Are you okay?" Biana asked.

"Yeah I'm fine, how's Alden?" Sophie looked up to Fitz, hoping he was back to himself. But he just glared and picked at his food with his fork.

"He's looking good, his scrapes and burns are already clearing up and his fingers are looking better," Biana said.

"That's good," Sophie tried to fake a smile. "I hope he'll be fully healed soon."

Fitz's fork clattered on his plate and he stood up, mumbling that he was going to class early.

Sophie looked down at her casted arms and sighed. "Does he really hate me?"

"No! No, he doesn't," Biana sat beside her and put an arm around her shoulders. "When something bad happens, we all take it differently. Fitz, he gets angry and looks for someone to blame. Usually the person strong enough to stop it. You are strong enough to stop what happened but you couldn't have. No one could have."

Sophie nodded in understanding, but she didn't feel very much better.

Marella cleared her throat from where she sat beside Dex and Tam. "Keefe, why did you carry Sophie in like that?"

"Well," he started, "long story short. She's not fine, she can't walk."

"What do you mean? Her arms were sprained, not her legs," Dex pointed out.

"I don't really know what's up with that, but she's here to see Elwin."

Dex nodded.

Sophie looked to Tam, wondering if he had anything to add to the conversation because he hadn't said anything yet. But his eyes were darker than usual, like a permanent glare on his face.

"'Kay, let's go," Keefe said and tried to pick Sophie back up.

She waved him off. "I can walk now, I'm sure."

He smirked at her. "Really?"

She nodded and stood up. She took a few steps, trying to ignore the fact that the rest of the school was staring at her in her pjs. She made a face at Keefe. "Told you?"

"Okay, okay," he surrendered.

Sophie took a few more steps and fell to the ground, yelping at the impact.

Keefe gasped but when he rushed over to help her up, she could tell he was trying his hardest not to laugh.

She glared at him as he led her to a bench and had her climb onto his back. Sophie looked as the rest of her friends stood up to follow them.
'Help' she mouthed to Marella, who just laughed and shook her head.

Sophie decided to be like a four year old and stuck her tongue out at her blonde friend. Marella shrugged.

When they got to the healing centre, and Keefe placed Sophie onto a cot. Biana got Elwin from his office.