Chapter thirty-six

Sophie jumped out of the way just as the silver horses hooves slammed back to the ground. She started to trot frantically around Sophie, occasionally stopping to scan her.

Sophie stretched her arms out. "Hey, it's all right," she said to the mare in a soft voice. "It's okay, I'm a friend. I won't hurt you."

She continued repeating these words until the horse calmed down. "Good girl." Sophie took a cautious step towards her. The horse remained still. Another step. Still, she didn't move. Sophie continued to speak calming words and taking slow steps towards her until she was standing right beside the silver mare.

She slowly outstretched her arm, making no sudden movements. The horse warily sniffed her hand and immediately relaxed. She rubbed her face against Sophie and excitedly trotted in small circles around her.

"Good girl," Sophie sighed in relief.

She stroked her neck and scratched her withers, feeling the soft fur under her hands. "What should I call you?" Sophie felt weird only calling her 'the horse.' A name popped into her head. "How about Silveny?"

Silveny nickered in response. "I guess that settles it."

Sophie walked over to the blue and purple willow tree, Silveny followed close behind. She sat down with her back against the tree, her new silver friend laid down beside her and rested her head on Sophie's legs.

She lightly stroked her face. "How am I gonna get home?" She whispered to herself.

Ideas rushed through Sophie's head, but she had no time to consider any of them before exhaustion took over her body and she fell asleep.

—————————

Sophie woke up, who knows how much later, with Silveny breathing the most disgusting breath in her face.

"Ew, what do you eat?" She complained.

Silveny rubbed her face on Sophie's arm and backed away, cantering in wide circles around the tree.

Sophie stood up and rubbed her eyes, yawning as the excited horse stopped in front of her. "What's up?"

Silveny turned with her side facing Sophie and bent her front legs like she was bowing to an unseen person.

The horse looked at Sophie with expecting eyes, gesturing to her back with her head.

"You want me to ride you?" She asked.

Silveny nickered in response.

Sophie debated with herself for a moment. Riding a most likely untrained horse with out a saddle or bridle would be incredibly dangerous. If she fell off and hurt herself how would she ever get back home? Would she just have to wait for her friends to find her here? How long would she have to wait? Would the Neverseen find her instead?

But she looked into Silvenys eyes and all her fears went away. If she was untrained, why would she want to be ridden? And she seemed to really like Sophie, so why would she get her injured?

Sophie climbed onto the horses back and right away Silveny stood up. She patted her neck. "Good girl." Sophie didn't have time to think about what direction she was supposed to go as Silveny whipped to the side and galloped off into the constant sunset.

Sophie gripped onto the silver horse with all her might, clinging onto her neck and praying she wouldn't fall. Even though it was terrifying, it was also the most fun she had had in ages. The wind whipped through her hair, Silvenys thundering footsteps echoing in the beautiful field of flowers and weeping willows.

She felt free.

Sophie didn't worry about where she was going, or if the Neverseen caught up to her. She just let Silveny be the guide, not caring if she got back home anytime soon. Sophie felt that she could be out there forever.