Chapter 5 - Ballet shoes

"You sung the big guy to sleep," Natasha Romanoff appeared behind you, running her finger along the cracked glass.

"Music is a wonderful advantage, it's freeing, and calming... if you play the right notes," Silence glossed over the two of you as you sat down and stretched. "Bring your ballet shoes, and a spare pair if you have, we need to talk,"

~~~

"Re-live each memory... if not, just dance," Swan lake played softly around the room as Natasha clutched her old ballet shoes in fear.

Lacing up the ribbons of your own, you started basic movements, encouraging her to join.

"Take your time, my sweet, there is no rush,"

Natasha felt emotions rise with each violin note strung. Her heart raised to the point where she couldn't focus on the silk outlines of her shoes which slowly wore away with time.

"Breathe, talk or stay silent, but I want you to put those on for me when you're ready,"

"I can't," she whispers, dropping the shoes.

An understanding smile falls on your lips. "Of course, but I want your to just breathe," The music changed to a somber tune which reflected exactly what she felt. "Let the music reflect your thoughts, it often helps,"

Natasha was a broken soul. Like the many who formed this team but... unlike the others, you actually wanted to help the woman. She grew up in a traumatizing environment not fit for a child and... that hurt you.

So you wanted to help.

It wasn't to gain her trust, it was to comfort her from behind the glass.

~~~

The next afternoon she returned and took the ballet shoes which were propped up near the door.

"Ready to dance?"

"No," she mumbles as you nod and put on your own shoes. "Ready to tell us who you work for?"

"No," you reply with the same tone she did. "What was it like? Tell me only if you want,"

"It was always dark..." she leant back on the metal chair, letting the ribbon of the shoes curl around her finger. "There were so many lamps but... it was always... dark,"

"Was it cold?"

"It grows on you, but yes, cold,"

"And what of your quarters? Shared... single rooms?" you lift your leg up then point it back to your toes, keeping an eye on the redhead.

"For years I shared with 8 girls until I grew old enough for my own room in the academy," she lowered her gaze to your moving feet.

"What about belongings? Did you have any special items?"

This went on and on, simple talk about anything but the training she endured. No talk of killing, and if she brought up targets or weapons you changed to the subject to stop her blank eyes from going too far into her mind.

~~~

"Afternoon, Natasha," it had been a week of this cycle and you could tell today was different.

"Maestra,"

"Please, call me Y/n,"

"That's your real name?" she smiles. "It's beautiful,"

"Thank you, Maestra is merely an alias," you take your shoes from under the bed and place them on as she did as well. "Any requests?"

"Could you do that trick? Where the music reflects my mood?" your simple nod made her sigh in relief, the music flowing out. She clutched the chair with a shaky breath.

"If you do not wish to dance, putting the shoes on is enough,"

She nods quickly and sits down in the chair, thankfully not taking off the flats.

"You said that it snowed most of the time... did you ever see a snowy owl?"

A glint of a good memory passed her eyes. "I did... he would always land on my window sill,"

"And I assume you named him?"

"Snowflake, not creative, but-"

"I think it's perfect," she mumbled a thanks before you asked another question. "So, you said it was an old building, were there wooden carvings anywhere?"

"Yes, there was one cabinet in the main room which is where I..." her breath hitched.

"I meant more so in your room... I mean you must have looked at them at night?" You changed the subject quickly, walking up close to her.

"Oh, yes..."

~~~

"Falling, Harry Styles,"

After two weeks it was finally happening. She put on her shoes and stood up, getting into position.

Both of you faced each other with soft smile, you mimicked her moves as she danced freely, watching you as if you were a mirror. One that didn't shout back to her each flaw she held, one that actually cared.

It was nice.

It was perfect.

She felt her eyes brighten as she felt herself let go, not following the strict rules she was taught. Dancing not to seduce but for herself.

A genuine and lengthy laugh left her as she spun around and around with you following just the same.

Asking for more of an upbeat song, immortals by FOB came on which made her eyes gleamed. Steps now more expressive of positive emotions you felt yourself break free of mimicking instead matching her style.

For an hour she didn't stop dancing. Finally free of those bonds which held her back from doing what she used to love.

~~~

:''')

:''')

- Anna ❤️