Chapter 22 - Tenebris

The cell you first arrived to was still decked out in furniture. Either Stark didn't bother to clear up or knew you'd return soon. Metal unclasped from your wrists as the door opened, Emerald rushed in first in awe.

"This is so cool!"

"Isn't it? Say thank you to Mr Stark," you point to Stark who couldn't decide how to react.

"Thank you, Mr Stark!" the little girl curtsies for the billionaire before rushing to the bed and flopping face first onto it.

"You will be questioned, the usual," Steve informed.

"Of course, thank you, captain," you bow your head as the Avengers leave, though Peter stayed behind with puffy eyes. "Pumpkin, I'm so sorry-"

"What's her name?" he blurts out, trying to hold in any shaky breath.

"Sweetpea, come here and introduce yourself," the bouncing little girl rolls off the bed and to Peter.

"I'm Emerald! Pleasure to meet you, sir," she curtsies yet again like a true lady.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Peter," he bends down to her height behind the glass. "I'm... your brother?" He looks hopefully to you. Your nod sending a bright smile to plaster his face.

"You are? Is your daddy also a god?"

"No, no, he isn't your brother by blood, Em,"

She forms an 'o'. "That's ok! My daddy wasn't that good anyways, he was a dickhead!"

"He's still a god, so be careful,"

"Yeah, but I'm the goddess of... what am I the goddess of again?"

You pick her up into your arms. "According to the stars that shone bright when you were brought into this universe, you were dubbed the goddess of romance and hope, giving romance to those who have lost all hope of such!"

Peter smiled softly at the sight of you spinning your daughter around. Her giggles sounded like music, a perk given considering you were the goddess of music.

"Who is her father?" Peter pulled up the metal chair.

"Tenebris, God of divorce and fertility, should have seen that coming," You watched as Emerald continued to explore the space, every crevice and crack. "He was... He was never good to me, but I stuck around, I loved him but he didn't love me,"

"Mummy says he used her!" Emerald called out making you glare. "Whoops?"

"Yes, well..." you sit down and lay back against the floor as Peter sighs. "He was charming, sweet, kind, and loved to pull tricks to impress me,"

"Mummy loves tricks!" Emerald rushes from the bathroom with a bar of soap. "It smells so good!"

"When was the last time you had a shower?"

"Mm, Proxima just splashes water on me then gives me a towel... so, this morning?" Emerald looks down.

"I think we can run you a nice bath with bubbles?" her eyes glinted like the stars before she rushed to the bathroom. "Pumpkin?"

"Yeah?" Peter looked up to you.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't leave her there," You bring a hand up to the glass and press it firmly.

"It's alright... I'll bring you guys some clothes," Peter mimics your actions. He left soon, your eyes trailing to the cameras which were watching the whole time.

You knew he was watching.

And you hoped he understood.

~~~

"My little girl looks like a princess!" Em squeals as you lift her up, her night dress ruffling up. Your own clothing was as you were gifted before, not those horrible orange slacks. "A dream is a wish your heart makes~"

"When you're fast asleep~" Em sings back to you, her damp hair drying slowly.

"In dreams you will lose your heartaches~"

"Whatever you wish for, you keep..." her head falls on your shoulder, eyes closing slowly.

"Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through~" laying her down in the bed and tucking the soft duvet over her. "No matter how your heart is breathing... if you keep on believing, a dream that you wish will come true~" Your finger taps her nose lightly.

Her soft snores slowly fill the room as you made you way to the desk, sitting back in the chair with a relieved sigh.

"So, her daddy's a god who took away your ability to love," Nat's voice makes you jump. "Ironic that she can give love and hope for it,"

"She hasn't quite figured out the ropes... I never got the chance to teach her considering... the whole leverage thing," you jump off the chair and walk to Nat who sat down in the chair. "I'm sorry, really, I just needed her back,"

"Don't worry, I get it- not really but, I know if Clint was in the same situation, he'd do the same,"

"Barton?"

"Three kids, farm house quite a while away," the redhead confesses. "I think he would be the best to confine to... if not, talk to Loki, you two seem 'close'," she smirks making you sigh.

"I would- is the camera off?"

"It can't turn off but no one is there," she assures.

"I would talk to him, but I can't 'fall in love' again, not after Tenebris, I'm not ready for that,"

"But you spent two nights with him," Nat shifts her position knowingly.

"I bed him twice, first time I left, second time I spent the night..."

"All night?" You nod making her smile. "See? That's a start,"

"No, it's not a start because I made it look like I didn't, I told him I didn't, can't you see, Nat? I'm trying to push him away before he gets hurt!" Whisper shouting these words to not wake up Em, you drop your head into your palms.

~~~

E

- Anna ❤️