Chapter 9 - Crust

"Seriously?" Peter tried to cut the crust off his sandwich again only for it took cut too much or too little. "Damn," he sighs before settling with the finished product. Hearing his frustrations you enter the kitchen with a smile.

"Morning, Peter,"

"Morning, Miss L/n," he picks away the extra crust before giving up.

"What's for breakfast?"

"PB & J, with horribly cut off crust," Peter raises his food before biting into it. "Can never cut it right,"

"You like PB & J?"

"Yeah! Mum used to always make it for me..." his lips parted, voice trailing off. "Aunt May tried to do the same but, just like me, she could never do it like mum," the boy trails his eyes to the half empty glass of milk.

"If you don't mind me asking, where are your parents?" you pour some coffee into the cup after Peter directed you around the kitchen.

"Mum and dad died when I was 4... Aunt May let's me live here in the tower, but some weekends I go back to stay with her," Peter finishes off the rest off his food before grabbing his backpack. "I'll see you after school, Miss L/n!"

"Bye, Peter," softly bidding the boy goodbye you washed his dishes before walking to your quarters.

~~~

The brunette boy yawned and stretched as he entered the kitchen that early morning. Trying to find the bread he saw sight of a ready breakfast.

Hope this is how your mum used to make it
Have a nice day at school, pumpkin
- Y/n

Peter peered into the triangle sliced sandwich which had its crust cut perfectly. He took a bite and brightened at the perfect ratio of both ingredients.

~~~

"Thank you, Miss L/n," the boy had just gotten back from school and spotted you making yourself a snack. His arms wrapped tight around you.

"Oh, it's not a problem, pumpkin, I just hope it was just as good?"

He nods reassuringly, grip not loosening for a second. "It was perfect, thank you,"

"You're welcome," you hold his cheeks and pinch them softly. "Don't worry yourself, I'll make your breakfast every morning, one less thing to worry about before school,"

"Really?"

"Really," you ruffle his curled locks. "Now, go do your homework, I'll bring you some fruit,"

"Apple slices without the skin if it's not too much trouble?" He hopes and sighs when you nod.

"If you need help with anything, just ask, ok?"

"Yes, ma'am," he salutes before hoisting his bag back onto his shoulder and running down the hall.

"You're wonderful with children," Loki stepped into the kitchen to clean his mug.

"Thank you," you hum back in a monotone voice, slicing up the fruit onto a plate.

"Y/n, I hope there are no hard feelings about our interaction... I didn't mean to upset you,"

From the corner of your eye you watched him wash the mug with a hopeful look. "It's alright... I'm just not used to talking about it,"

"If you are ever in need of solace, I'm across the hall, my dear," his soft smile sent a warm fuzz into the centre of your chest as he left.

Your eyes move back down to the fruit, your smile never leaving until you saw the reflection you held in the window.

You knew that smile and you'll be damned if it grew anymore.

~~~

"What have you succeeded with?" Ebony Maw circled you from behind, only just meeting your eye.

"I report only to Thanos, not you, squidward,"

"Do not speak to me that way, girl," your throat was grasped and in a matter of seconds you were crushed into the mildew rock, rubble gnawing at your skin.

"Enough," Thanos stopped his servant from his actions. "What have you gotten?"

"They have allowed me on the team, but it is too risky to grab the tesseract as of now," dusting off your clothing, you kneel before the titan.

"How long?"

"A few months, maximum being a year,"

"A year?? Have you no appreciation for the mercy-" Ebony Maw was cut off when Thanos held his gloved hand up.

"Why do you need so long?"

"It has come to my attention that the tesseract is now on board the helicarrier, it will be a while until I am able to board it without suspicion and leave swiftly,"

Thanos hummed before nodding. "But know the longer you spend down there the longer you are without her," The titan shooed you away, your heels clicking across the ground, face morphed into a scowl.

~~~

Strumming your guitar, the notes floated about like cigarette smoke on dimly lit street. Endlessly streaming around the room they found their way down the hall and into Loki's room. This disturbed his daily reading, so of course he followed the somber music.

He knew it was you but it seemed his feet took control, wanting to listen a little closer. It wasn't abnormal to hear you play a tune but today it was a stronger sensation compared to your mindless notes on any other evening.

Then it stopped as he leant his head against the door. "May I help you?" you snicker softly at the fright it gave him.

"No, sorry," he coughs as his finger fiddle with the page of his book.

"Would you like to come in? I don't mind an audience," What had gotten into you? You hated when people pried while you played in thought.

"I don't mean to intrude," his lifted hands were taken as you opened the door wider for him to slip through.

~~~

:))

:))

- Anna ❤️