Chapter 12: What are you?

Jai's POV:
I very confused about my feelings these days. They are all just going haywire. When Maira told me I can be on first name basis with her again I was elated eventhough it wasn't a big deal and when she told me what she actually meant I felt devastated. Well, the thing that actually left me devastated was the idea of her leaving tomorrow. Is it weird to feel that when we don't even know each other that well?

That day we hardly saw each other as she was busy in winding up her work and I was busy explaining myself that I am not feeling sad. I even went to office early to distract myself from the idea of not seeing Maira.

That day I came late and the whole time I at the hotel I was so pissed at people for nothing that I feel the employees are now scared to come and talk to me.

Soon the next morning came...the dreadful day of Maria's departure. I went to office quite early. It was around 10:00 a.m. when I heard a knock on my cabin door. "Dad, come in...you know you don't need to knock. Come on in what's up?"

"Is there something wrong son? You have been so temperamental since yesterday. I thought you'll now be happy that you have one year to yourself before the need to get married."

"It's nothing dad, it's just work pressure I would say..." I was lost in thoughts of Maira and literally stopped mid-sentence.

"Is it the work pressure or a girl pressure?" Dad's teasing tone and mirthful eyes are enough for my neck to go red. I hoped that it would go unnoticed by dad but his laughter is enough to tell me he saw it and was enjoying it.

"Honestly dad I don't know what this is. I mean I don't know her for long but her anger, her smile, her sarcasm I want to know everything about her. It's not like she is the most beautiful woman in the world but in my eyes she is the best one I know."

"Then what is the problem?"

"Dad... Ughhhh... I don't know what these feelings are let alone if she even likes me. I don't even know what to do now, I am so confused." I put my head into my hands wanting to pull out all my hair.

"Well you see son I know what these feelings are but you've gotta figure them out for yourself. Just know one thing that if you think that she is the one for you don't let her slip from your fingers. Try to woo her, show her what you are, who you are and be a true gentleman that I know you already are."

"But dad what if it is only infatuation and nothing more and I end up hurting her feelings?"

"You are more concerned about her feelings and I have never seen you behave like this for any girl, so I would say it's not infatuation. Anyways I am sure once this girl knows you are interested in her she would throw herself on you." He said the last bit laughing. You see I have had girls throw themselves at me, agreeing to whatever I say and being super sweet to me and dad know this.

"If only that was the case dad..." I say thinking about the encounters with Maira and her never-ending sarcasm.

"Jai just be sure that you want to be with her and remember girls are more emotional and vulnerable, so never break her trust if you ever decide to take things ahead. Always respect women and remember it was woman who gave birth to you and behave in the way you would want someone to behave with your sister. I have asked you to woo that girl and not to go crazy and do things she might not like. You cannot force someone to like you or love you. Wooing means showing your unseen sides to another person and what they mean to you and not the current generation's way of getting obsessed and overstepping your boundaries."

"I know dad...I will never do anything that is out of line..." I turned my face to look at my phone that I realise is constantly vibrating. "Dad did you get any calls from home. My phone is ringing continuously now that I notice." I picked up saying this and saw dad saying he left his phone in his cabin but what I heard from the other side almost had the floor slip out from beneath me.