Chapter 44: I Like You Too

Jai's POV:

I couldn't control myself. Maira has been looking so hot, I found myself losing control and I pecked her forehead and tightened my grip over her waist. After that Mr. Sen leave us while we start making our way to the car. Once inside the car, I am nervous since Maira hasn't really responded to what I did few minutes back. I don't know if this is the calm before the storm or if she is okay with this. Not like it was a big deal.

"You shouldn't have done that." Uh-oh!

"What?" I try acting unaware of what she was talking about.

"Jai, what you did a few minutes back, you shouldn't have."

"Why?" I am tired of waiting Maira to show me that she wants to take another step in our relationship and I have decided to take a lead on it.

"I don't like becoming the centre of attention and PDA is clearly not my scene."

"So, you mean to say you just mind me doing it in public and not the act, right?" I ask threading carefully.

"I don't know." She mumbles slowly before leaning her forehead against the window.

"Maira, you weren't forced in this relation, right? It's been nearly a month we have been married, don't you think it isn't really that big of a deal, unless of course you are uncomfortable with all this. Are you uncomfortable with me being close to you?" I ask her finally.

"Jai, it's just too fast I feel. I mean it hasn't even been a month to our marriage. And Jai I am not uncomfortable with you, it's just... I don't know how to even explain." She lets out a frustrated sigh before turning back to the window.

"Maira, do you not want to give our relationship a chance?"

"Of course, I do. It's just I am not really ready for it yet, I guess."

"You can never be ready unless you take a step and try to give us a chance. I have started to feel that you were forced into all this, Maira." I say a bit frustrated tone, though I keep my voice low. She doesn't reply and keep looking out of her window. I keep quiet rather than saying anything to her or comfort her because now, I need her to take a step further and let go of her inhibitions that I will realise that she is not good enough for me, because she is. We make our way home and Maira leaves the car immediately without waiting for me.

I reach my room and see Maira in the bed with her face under the covers. Letting out a sigh, I change my clothes before making my way to the bed and getting under the quilt. I wanted to hold Maira like last night but I couldn't, unless she takes a step forward. Usually I would take a step hoping Maira would do too but today she stopped me and so, unless she wants, I am not going to do anything. Keeping my hand over my eyes, I faced the ceiling when I heard some rustling going around before feeling a warmth next to me.

"Jai, I am sorry. It's just I am scared. I know it is pathetic of me to be scared when we are already married but I just am. I feel like one day you will wake up and decide you are done with me and done with my shenanigans. I just... Ughhhhh I don't even know what to tell you, honestly." The darkness in the room makes it easy for Maira to let her emotions out, just like that night on the cliff or the night on terrace or every other time she opened up even a little. I turn around and see her closer to me, our arms almost touching. I can make out her features even in the darkness, and her scrunched brows, and tight lipped face with those doe eyes are looking at the ceiling.

"Maira, I don't know what I should tell you that will convince you that I like you. I like you too much. The first time I saw you, I felt a pull towards you. I was so intrigued that all I wanted was to approach you and talk to you. When you came to Udaipur, I never wanted you to leave. My parents were on my case to get married and somehow I convinced them that I am not ready but then with you, I just wanted to get married to you and spend every moment from thereon with you. Do you really think it was all because you didn't show any interest in my? I chased you, trying to convince you that we can work, agreed but I don't go around doing that. I like you Maira and maybe you don't feel the same and that's alright because I am willing to wait for you. How can I ever be done with you and your shenanigans when you have brought a new light and excitement in my earlier monotonous life? I wake up thinking I will get to see you in the morning, I sleep looking at you at night and dreaming about our life twenty years from now. I don't expect you to return my affection but at least don't doubt my feelings for you that are only growing stronger everyday." I finally tell her about my feelings and I can see her mind trying to grasp each and every word I spoke. I shift closer to her hesitantly and slowly push a hand between her neck and shoulder before pulling her to me. She doesn't push me away, for which I am really grateful.