Chapter 19: You are the one for me

Jai's POV:

Once everyone is gone Rishi walks over to me with a very angry face and a fisted hand. Soon I am lying on the ground, holding my nose. Darn it!! It hurts badly.

"Do you even know what you have done? Do you have any idea?"

"Did you hear what nonsense they were talking about Maira I couldn't take it anymore. I did what I thought was right."

"Well, it's not right. You don't have any right to just say things you don't even mean."

"I mean every word I said right now."

"Did you bloody think if Maira wants that? You cannot declare something like this just because you thought it's right." The series of cuss words that follow this are endless. At this point we both were literally shouting at each other.

"I just cannot bear anyone saying anything against Maira just because she isn't as rich as her perpetrator."

"Stop right there. Do you really think Maira is just some random poor lawyer who is trying to make ends meet?" I look at Rishi all confused before he speaks again.

"You are mistaken. She earns in six digits monthly and if that's not good enough for you, you should know she is the daughter of the biggest diamond merchant in India, so she is probably richer than all those people. You had no bloody right to do what you did. You my friend are in deep shit. I just punched you but when her father comes to know of this believe me all these people can also not save you from his wrath." I can assure you my eyes popped out of their sockets. I didn't know that about Maira. I decide to do what I think is the best. We all retire to our rooms and even Rishi is staying for the night as he said he won't leave without Maira which did boil my blood, but I let it be for the time being. Hopefully, she will soon be mine.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The next morning I get up pretty early and think of what to do and how to deal with the blunder I created yesterday. The only thing I can think of is how Maira is doing. Before I go check on Maria there is something very important I need to do. I am about to go downstairs when I knock on Maira's room and open it to see her sleeping. Carefully and slowly, I close the door before leaving the house.

By the time I return it's past noon and the desperation to see Maira has reached another heights. So, I decide to go and check on her. I went it her room and knocked but not hearing any reply, I push open the door only to see her still sleeping like a baby cocooned in the sheets.

I sit next to her on the bed and refrain myself from hold her hand. I just wanna see her dark brown orbs looking at me. I observe the bruises on her neck making me want to punch something really hard. I reach my hand forward to touch those bruises but retreat. I don't wanna do anything that might be considered inappropriate. You entering her room and gawking at her is appropriate?

Have you ever felt like kicking your inner voice because I do.

I lean my head back on the headboard waiting for Maira to regain her consciousness. I am about to doze off when I feel a movement in Maira's hands. I sit up straight only to see her open her eyes slowly.

I help Maira sit with her back resting against the headboard. I can see a million thoughts going through her head and a gasp leaves her mouth as yesterday's realization hits her. Before she could say anything, I ask her the only thing I want to know.

"How are you feeling?"

"Good." Came her firm reply. Before she has a chance to say anything I decided to take the lead on this conversation.