Chapter 35: Surprise Meeting

Jai's POV:

It's been almost three weeks I last met Maira at my hotel for lunch. We couldn't really talk much due to the unwanted presence of our siblings, so technically my last meeting with Maria was on the day we encountered Naina. Just remembering of that day is enough to make me explode laughing. All I can hope after that day is to never be on Maira's bad side. She doesn't think of time or place before putting people back on their place.

At the present I am sitting in my house, as the preparations for the wedding has started which is in less than two weeks. Maira is still in Delhi as her case took longer than expected and she will probably be back in two or three days. We haven't talked much as she has been really busy with all the work and at night when she would stop working, she is usually so tired that she is unable to talk for more than a few minutes. I know this because one day on my insistence she did get on a call with me and in a few minutes the 'Hmms' and 'Ahhhs' turned into soft snores.

She did apologize next morning for sleeping over the call and not remembering the conversation for which I instantly forgave her. But her tiredness isn't hidden from me and knowing how she must be over-working herself. I want her to not forget her health. Everyday I would wish her good morning and good night and ask how her case is going, and she would give me short crisp answers which would entail a good morning at night time and a good night at the morning time showing her distorted sleeping pattern and the pressure she is under.

Since the rituals have begun, I am not allowed to go to office but on much insistence I have been given permission for few days. After that I will not be allowed to see Maira until we get married, so, I am hoping we will be able to meet before that once. These three weeks seems like three years to me. I cannot wait to hold her close to me every night, no matter how much work she had, she would come home to me.

I move out of the house to go to office. I have been a bit restless since last night as Maira hasn't texted me since yesterday and this dangerous high profile case doesn't help ease my anxiety. I so wanted Maira to not take up this case but I knew it wasn't my place yet to do so. How come her dad did not stop her from taking on such a dangerous case? I mean he is so protective of her.

I reach my office and indulge myself in work and am lost in thoughts of someone special that I didn't hear the consistent knocking on my door. It was when the manager enter my cabin and called my name that I came out of my trance.

"Yes?"

"Sir, everyone is waiting for you in the meeting hall."

"Okay, you go. I'll be there in a minute." The manager leaves the room while I make my way towards some boring monthly meeting.

Not many people know about my wedding yet and I am willing to keep it like that for the time being. I would usually keep my hand in my pockets to protect any paparazzi from spewing any nonsense. Our families have also decided to keep our wedding a small affair with only our families and closed relatives invited followed by a grand reception where the world will get to know about the wedding.

The meeting takes more time than anticipated and by the time I am done, I am so exhausted that I need nothing more than take a nap. I reach my office and open the door to be greeted by food. The delicious smell of food made me hungry and salivating almost. I close the door behind me and move towards the table. I will thank the manager later on for sending my food here.

"Wow, here I thought I will get a warm welcome. It always comes down to food. Niceeeeee." I gasp loudly before spinning on my feet at a lightening speed, afraid I might sprain my ankle.

"What are you doing here?"

"Really that's your reaction? Well, I will take a leave then." She starts to leave when I move forward and tug her towards me. I engulf her in my arms and inhale her perfume.