CHAPTER 9: detention

my alarm rang throughout my ears and i jolted awake. of course i still had judd in my mind, but i was determined to make today a good day. my hair was still in good condition so i brushed it weakly and decided not to wash it. i used a nice smelling body wash and scrub and shaved my entire body, which felt like a lot of effort. i brushed my teeth and used mouth wash, which was a revelation for someone like me.

i excitedly put on my outfit that i planned out the night before and looked in the mirror leant next to my bed. i did look really nice, to be honest. i clipped on some chains and put some big hoops into my first piercings. i decided not to do anything drastic to my hair, i didn't really bother with styling it using heat.

'alexa, shuffle my get ready playlist' i called out, moving all my make up to my vanity. i began by priming my face with the new primer i got from boots, the day before. i drew the outline for my brows and made them sharp and go strictly upwards. i filled them in with a dark pomade and hastily brushed them through, before concealing them delicately so my face looked sharp.

i didn't really wear eyeshadow, so i didn't bother with any. i did a big black wing on my lid and connected a line from my crease to the wing, to form a kind of bat shape. i smudged a dark shadow on my lash line and water line, to blend the look all together. i added some tacky mascara weakly to my top lashes and then precisely placed my new lashes on. i blinked a few times for them to sit comfortably and batted my eyes in the mirror. where the fuck would my confidence be without eyeliner?

i buffed in some medium coverage foundation, setting it with powder, and some half ass nose contour. i finished with highlight on the tip of my nose, my cupid's bow, the bridge of my nose, and my cheekbones.

i didn't really wear many lip products as i felt like it washed me out - so i stuck with some strawberry carmex and an ounce of a light pink gloss. i threw the gloss into my bag so i could reapply it throughout the day, and stood up.

i sprayed my perfume all over me as it was routine, and drowned my clothes in a basic body spray. i threw that in my bag, too.

i grabbed all my essentials that i've listed before and shoved them into my bag over my shoulder, along with a zoot which only had a sprinkle of weed in it. i knew this one wasn't laced because it came from m, she rolled it herself.

i plodded down the stairs and turned back to my room to grab one of the monsters that had been kicking around on my floor. i went back down into the kitchen and raided the cupboards until i managed to produce a 'meal' - with the contents of ready salted crisps, a breakfast bar, and a pack of oreos.

i strutted out the front door confidently, calling out to my mum and sister that i was leaving. i pulled my bag further up my shoulder and let out a deep sigh. i really hoped judd would see me today, just so i could have the upper hand on the situation. i wanted to ignore him and watch him helplessly as he sees the fact that i dressed up, even if it was just a tuesday.

i walked to the furthest school entrance, so i could walk past the sports hall, and hopefully see judd, when i made a start on my journey to first lesson. i got through the double doors and was just about to leave the office before a secretary grabbed the sleeve of my hoodie.

'what are you wearing? are you even a student here?' the woman asked. she had endless crevices in her cracking skin and over lined red lips. she was stubby and shorter than me, with one hand on me, and one hand clutching a binder full of what looked like school related papers.

'i'm stass, i'm a year 11. i'm using my leftover achievement points for a mufti day.' i shot back.

'hmm.' she huffed, loosening her grip on me as i complied. 'come with me and i'll sign the points in so no other teachers question you.'

i nodded, it seemed like a decently nice gesture. i walked over to the desk where she was previously sat and watched as she slowly typed 'stass' into her computer.

'my names anastasia pollus, i go by stass though, sorry for the confusion.' i quickly said, as i saw the frustration from her face rise when my registered information wasn't showing up.

'could of told me that earlier, sweetie.' she groaned, not losing eye contact with her computer screen. i rolled my eyes and just waited.

'you're 4 points off. you can't have the mufti day today.'

i stepped back, flabbergasted.

'but i logged into my profile on the school website last night and it said i had enough?'

'well clearly you misread it.' she slowly spoke back to me, as if i had trouble hearing her.

'i won't send you home, but you'll have to have an hour and a half after school detention in the year 11 room if you want to stay in those clothes for the day.'

at first i felt angry and wanted to argue back, but i just decided to force a nod, and thank her for giving me the easy way out. she forced a smile back, and gestured for me to get to first lesson.