CHAPTER 11: partners for the night

i wobbled on the concrete ground and bit my lip in an attempt to prevent a tear flying down my face. i wasn't fucking up my eyeliner just because i had to do a bit of cleaning with a drug addict that was fucking with my head. i tried to construct a smile for that cunt of a teacher before whisking myself off back into the changing rooms.

'where'd you go?' sophie asked, checking her make up in a little eyeshadow palette, after she was changed.

'to tell the nonce that i forgot my kit. what the fuck are we even doing again, i swear it feels like i haven't done this lesson for years?' i asked cluelessly.

the girl threw her palette back into her michael kors bag and started to fiddle with her shoelaces.

'orienteering. i know. don't even get me started.'

i felt relieved. 'that isn't even that bad. me and you can just chat shit about your toxic boyfriend and go to the drama block to make fun of the year 9's performing.'

soph looked at me sternly and gritted her teeth.

'he isn't even toxic. anyway, hurry up bitch, we're meant to be outside.'

i scooped up my breakfast bar and an old vape that had been in my bag for months, before following the class out the door onto the field.

'alright girls, pair up.' my teacher said. i stood with my hands on my hips and chewed my gum impatiently, i already had a partner. out the corner of my eye, i spotted a girl in my class pointing at my outfit.

'the fucks up shardonay, you looking at my outfit again? match your orange foundation to your neck before you have the nerve to pull shit like this.' i spat.

the girl looked shocked, and tried to pretend like she was never talking shit about my outfit.

i couldn't stop going on.

'i don't care. i really don't give a fuck. let the teacher get on, you stupid bitch.'

she tried to respond but stuttered and went red. i turned back to face everyone else proudly, then smirked from the corner of my mouth.

we were then instructed on what to do, and although i wasn't listening, i still proceeded to snatch the map off our teacher like i actually was going to do the task.

'let's walk to the drama block.' i suggested to sophie, pointing to the building, which was just about in eyeshot. as we were walking i took a few hits of my vape and offered it to her. she held her hand up and declined my offer.

'no thanks, chris doesn't like when i vape or smoke.'

'are you fucking kidding me? your boyfriend again? why change yourself for some adidas tracksuit cunt who's just going to give you ptsd and a disappointing sex life. take a hit before i find his addy and rip up his fake balenciagas.'

sophie laughed harder than it looked like she had in a while. she took the vape off me and took a hit.

'fuck me, i've missed this.' she echoed, as she exhaled.

'exactly. anyway. off to the drama block we go, i wanna eat my breakfast bar.'

we spent the rest of the lesson laughing, peering through the window at the drama suite, laughing at the stupid 13 year olds trying to act. i laughed so much i almost cried, which hasn't happened in a while. i also didn't think of judd that much, considering i was going to have to spend an unwanted amount of time with him after school.

the rest of the school day dragged, i didn't smoke or vape anything else. my heart leaped out my chest when the bell in my last lesson chimed. i frantically collected my things and tried to walk confidently to the office.

i walked up to my head of year and cracked a smile.

'i'm here to apparently sweep the classrooms after school?'

'yes, anastasia right? follow me.'

i followed him and my heart dropped when he asked for my phone and bag.

'you can have them back as soon as it hits 6. i promise.'

i huffed, passed him the items, and then followed him into the caretakers office. i was handed a broomstick and a set of keys to use to unlock particular doors and areas of the school.

'if you misuse these keys, we will know, and you will be punished accordingly. your first room to clean is room 24. the year 12 who's going to be your partner for tonight will be waiting. go along, now.'

i laughed inside my head. partner for the night. huh. i fucking wish it was what it sounded like. i began my descent to the room i was assigned too, walking slowly, to deliberately annoy judd and waste our time. despite seeming arrogant and cool about the situation, my heart was pounding and i could barely breathe by the time i was stood outside of the classroom about to swing the door open.

i gasped for one last breath, and barged in.